Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » wal-mart
Re: wal-mart [message #56723 is a reply to message #56720] Fri, 19 August 2005 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know Charley; I don't have anymore valid thoughts than you do. I only have my own suspicions about how things work and what I observe.
I mean why are there working poor? If they are working they shouldn't be poor. Maybe struggling but poor? Would there be a place for the struggling to buy necessaries at prices they could afford? I think so. When they need something someone will provide it. Where does Wal-Mart come in? Well before we liquidated the manufacturing base in this country we didn't need Wal-Mart, so what; we can't have a company that makes a profit that equals the GNP of a third world country offer the workers health and wage benefits that are supportive?
Are people buying this cheap stuff and actually saving anything? I find that the cheap stuff is more costly in the long run myself. If there was no WM then the working poor would find that out also.
The benefit part; the community absorbs the refusal of WM to provide adequate wage by using tax revenue to make up the shortfall. So maybe those working poor might have more in their community to help support them if WM wasn't absorbing all that public monies. The effect of box stores is to lull the community into a false sense of safety that implodes when the bill comes in for health shortfall/education tax revenue shortfall; higher cost of people delaying medical treatment until it becomes acute and costly.
What do you think about all this?

Re: wal-mart [message #56724 is a reply to message #56721] Fri, 19 August 2005 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
My friend; are there any American Companies anymore? Aren't they all multi-national with bases in many countries and continents? Shouldn't our cgovernment bre protecting us from the abuses of these multi's that seem to be above the law?

Re: wal-mart [message #56725 is a reply to message #56723] Fri, 19 August 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You're probably right - what the hell do I know. Maybe overall they’re just evil greed-crazed bastards profiting from desperation and misery. No doubt that our federal government does nothing to mandate workplace equity and that the present administration actively works to strip workers of all protections – they clearly want to ensure an abundant supply of passive drones grateful to be exploited.

I’m pretty certain that’s how it’s always been for the have-nots. Maybe those of us who have the advantage of a bit of security, a little more understanding, are the ones to blame for not demanding basic reforms that would more equitably distribute the productivity of the society among all the stakeholders instead of benefiting just the greedy few at the top with their 200 foot yachts.

We certainly don’t – if somebody says taxes are too low, they can’t get to first base without being called a tax-and-spend idiot. If you talk about fairness and equity you’re a lunatic liberal commie subversive. People only vote for millionaires and celebrities – they don’t ever consider why they’re millionaires or celebrities except to trash them like John Edwards was trashed for being a trial lawyer.

We end up with no choices in the voting booth because we let good people get trampled – we let corporate interests get away with smearing people who might rock the boat – we let their disinformation campaigns convince the less than astute that raising the minimum wage or nationalizing basic health care is just trying to strip them of their ability to pursue the American dream – not many of us support organizations that try to counter that sort of obvious propaganda. The end result is that the sheeple vote for their own slaughter while denouncing the evil liberals with the war chants their masters taught them.

Even the churches are full of so-called christians these days who’ve swallowed the whole laissez-faire republican message rather than questioning how the poor can be helped. The only help the poor are offered is to become supporters of their oppressors in the incredibly naive belief that they can become one of “them”. To perpetuate the illusion the press publishes Horatio Alger stories pre-cooked by the corporations for immediate publication (no editing required)- it’s like ads for lottery tickets; the suckers keep buying into the scam.

We have met the enemy and they is us.

Re: wal-mart [message #56726 is a reply to message #56718] Fri, 19 August 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Don't blame the feds - blame us. We're the ones who put them in power over us and keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Re: wal-mart [message #56727 is a reply to message #56725] Sat, 20 August 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Amazing to hear on CNN a show that delves into the current Religous Fundementalist revival. A preacher or spiritual guide or whatever they call confidence men who work the religion con telling the congregation that God wants you to vote Republican and support the war in Iraq.
I first noticed this during Reagan. Union guys who would vote for a guy who was virulently anti-union. Why I would ask; He is a strong leader, would inevitably be the answer, or the other guy will raise taxes. And cut funding to the military.
He ended up doing both and as for a strong leader; so was Stalin; what does that mean.
See the same cognitive dysfunction in todays administration. But logic; hey whats that? We have WMD's to find.
But Wal-Mart is a symbol of all that nonsense come to a head. Thats the bottom line and thats why they are under fire now; because even sheep will fight back if things get too ridiculous; or maybe not.

Re: wal-mart [message #56728 is a reply to message #56727] Sat, 20 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always frowned on the manipulative tactic used by many that try to promote a religion or "pass the word," and that's the "get out of hell free card." Instead of suggesting an idea that spiritual growth might make a person happier, they proffer the advice that without immediate attention, the person will go to hell and be tortured forever.

I think it's a mistaken principle. I like the idea of attraction rather than promotion. If you know something worth doing, then do it. Don't push it. It will show its own good virtues and people will be attracted to it.

I personally never thought God to be so insecure as to demand a person's immediate attention. I see God as more of a Grand Unification Theory. So then you're really just learning science better, social interactions, micro and macro structures in everything. Put it all together and give it a name.

If Jesus and Zoroaster were trying to describe some of the ways to live, be productive, successful and happy, I see it no differently than the Wright Brothers developing a better understanding of gravity and aerodynamics. I doubt they would have gone door to door telling people they needed to learn their principles lest they might die a horrible death, but if you try to fly wuithout a pretty good grasp of the things Orville and Wilber Wright found, you'll probably die a horrible death.

Re: wal-mart [message #56729 is a reply to message #56728] Sat, 20 August 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What I have always wanted to know is; Who is Zoroaster? I've seen that name before; just what is his deal?
The joining together of God and science; is that Scientology?

Re: wal-mart [message #56738 is a reply to message #56729] Sat, 20 August 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do a search of Zoroastrians. They believed in a monotheistic God, (Ahura-Mazda) and a lot of their religious teachings were good common sense about things like hygiene and social graces. It's a pretty interesting religion. There are only about 100,000 of them left, and it's a blood-line based religion that doesn't allow converts. I 'spose you could read their religious text (the Avesta) and go to their temples in Bombay but they do not have a conversion process.

Re: wal-mart [message #56739 is a reply to message #56738] Sun, 21 August 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; and I don't drive a Mazda anyway.

What to d owith old Wal Marts [message #56742 is a reply to message #56693] Tue, 23 August 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John, Thought you would get a chuckle out of this article.....Colin

Previous Topic: Non one will like this post
Next Topic: Ah the good old days....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:45:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio