Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Jazz Lovers
Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6324 is a reply to message #6323] Tue, 17 January 2006 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I find that after putting down the sticks when my son was born I needed a solid year to get back into playing mode. Age really slows you down. I had to resort to all kinds of tricks to ressurect my abilities. I play one day a week for about 5/6 hours then I don't touch them for 24 hrs. Then practice a normal schedule. That was taught to me by a guy who knows and it works. I also have a pair of sticks in the car and I constantly do parradiddles and rolls on the dashboard. Embarrasses my son to death but it really sharpened and strengthened my wrists.
On guitar I imagine that doing transcriptions for scales in different keys might help? Do you tape your stuff then play over the tape like a duet? I use a sony reel-to-reel with sound on sound for that and it helps.
One thing that is very helpfull is videos. I use them now and they seem to work; I get one or two every couple months then learn them.
It's hard to find players at this level but they are around; any jam nights in local pubs around by you?

Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6325 is a reply to message #6324] Tue, 17 January 2006 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
No jam nites that I know of. My teacher (up til he moved about 2 yrs ago) used to suggest the same thing with the tape player. Thanks for the reminder. Now that I'm feeling the fire again I'll do that. But my son has connected with the local guitar god. The only reason this guy isn't famous was his ego when he was younger. Couldn't hold a band togther. Amazing musician, multiple instruments. He can sight read piano music onto to his axe faster than most piano players can play it. He's invited my son to jam, and I may just "tag along".

Practice in the car is a little harder on guitar

Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6326 is a reply to message #6325] Tue, 17 January 2006 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
True; it is a little harder but don't let that stop you!
Say; don't they have these little travel guitars guys use when they can't get to their regular axe?

Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6327 is a reply to message #6326] Tue, 17 January 2006 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yea, but I just find a Guitar Center and go practice there. Cheaper. The salesmen see this old guy come in and their eyes lite up and out come the Les Pauls, PRS's and Taylors. The kids don't get to play those, what they don't know is I don't have any more money than the kids.

Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6328 is a reply to message #6327] Tue, 17 January 2006 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How are Martin Guitars these days? Saw a beautifull Gibson Hummingbird at Sam Ash the other day; they were asking 1300$.

Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6330 is a reply to message #6328] Wed, 18 January 2006 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I think I'm odd. I've never played a Martin I liked very much. But I've also never played an old one. Most of the Taylors I like, some of the smaller boutique guys build guitars to die for. Martins and Taylors are pretty much the peak in acoustic. I have an Alvarez that I call the rose. It has a rose inlaid in the neck. The small music store where I took lessons had it for about a year. My teacher said "You need to buy this guitar". It's the one he and the other teacher used all the time. It was only about $700,regular 1k. It plays and sounds better than anything I've played. A 3.5k taylor tempted me a while back, til I came home and played the rose again. Never seen or heard of another one.

Re: Jazz Lovers... new stuff [message #6331 is a reply to message #6330] Wed, 18 January 2006 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Same with drums. The old Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland were three ply shells and 9 ply rims. That made a nice tone with good resonance. Now all the hot-shots have these straight 9 ply shells of birch and composite woods that sound like big thuds when you play them.
The reason why maybe the music is all one dimensional now. Absolutely no subtlety.
I always liked the sound of the big Gibson Dreadnoughts. And Gretsch Electric Guitars. Or maybe a nice 1956 Tele.

Have you seen this [message #6332 is a reply to message #6331] Wed, 18 January 2006 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Ran across this the other day. I don't know squat about drums, but it looks

Re: Have you seen this [message #6334 is a reply to message #6332] Wed, 18 January 2006 11:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey; Nice of you to think of it! Tuning is an art developed over many years of playing. The Resotune is proceeded by several tuning aids using the same or similar concept. Do they work? Well; yes and no. The thing is there are sounds that you get by mis-tuning or unequal tensioning that symbolise your personal preference and style. Tensioning the heads becomes second nature after a while so that you can probably go faster than most devices. However they are great learnig aids in that you get a good tune and consequently you can work off that and learn what you like much more quickly. Most of the tricks they outline are standard practice like muting the center of the head with the tip of your fimnger to cut the ringing and tapping mid-way between the tip and rim.

However; this website lead me to a site called Cymbalholics; exactly what I needed. Perfect and I never would have thought about searching for it. Good Show; thanks.

Previous Topic: Hurdy-Gurdy; Still offering Your Music on CD?
Next Topic: So; Did Everyone Watch "24"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 15:07:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio