Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient?
LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient? [message #53415] Mon, 13 April 2009 10:00 Go to next message
adamzuf is currently offline  adamzuf
Chancellor
Hi,

I read in speakerplans FAQ that a high EBP is good for horns. However this is not the case with this driver... The low Fs is needed for the horn to go low, but isn't a lower Qts would make it a faster driver?
It also doesn't have tons of BL, however Xmax is good..

Thanks for the help
Adam

Re: LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient? [message #53418 is a reply to message #53415] Mon, 13 April 2009 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A driver tuned to be a subwoofer needs low fs and high xmax. Those characteristics tend to reduce sensitivity when used as a direct radiator. However, anything can be used for horn loading, and when properly matched, efficiency will be increased. High EBP will give higher bandwidth, but that's not required (or even desired) for a subwoofer. So the combination of low fs and high mechanical excursion limits are more important for a subwoofer driver. When used in a horn, it is also important to match the driver with the front and rear chambers and the horn flare.

By the way, we don't use the LAB12 driver anymore. Ours in an OEM driver that is essentially the same as a LAB12, but that is machined to fit our cooling plug. This makes a big improvement in thermal performance, which is really important in high-power basshorns. Since excursion is reduced by horn loading, the effectiveness of the woofer's cooling vent is reduced too. Our cooling plug approach is what keeps the motors cool in our 12π hornsub.

Re: LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient? [message #53419 is a reply to message #53418] Mon, 13 April 2009 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne.
As far as I've seen from simultions and discussing with people, The EBP is a simple weight of fs and qts, when actually it seems to me that the higher fs is more crucial to extention then low qts..
What do you think about that?

Also, what are your thoughts about qms ratings in different types of horns, in regard to sound quality?

Re: LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient? [message #53420 is a reply to message #53419] Mon, 13 April 2009 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The resonant frequency shifts when you put the woofer on the horn, with the front chamber and flare shifting it downwards and the rear chamber shifting it upwards. When you model the horn and modify electro-mechanical driver values, you'll find that lighter cones increase output mostly at the top end, not at the bottom end.

It's all about what you want to do. If you want a midbass horn, use a lighter cone, by all means. It will give better output up into the midrange. But if you're looking for drivers to use in a hornsub, you probably wouldn't need (or even want) the HF extension. For a subwoofer, I would prefer a driver that does its best work down low and is robust enough to handle high excursion and current.

Re: LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient? [message #53426 is a reply to message #53420] Thu, 16 April 2009 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

What are your thoughts about "how much is left" from the original driver's specs like response graph, efficiency etc?
I've seen how midrange drivers that are predicted to have different efficiency in HR are much closer or even the "lesser" driver had better efficiency in real life, when talking with people about results they've had with horn loading.
For a subwoofer, the inital efficiency seems to have nothing to do with the outcome after the loading.. For a midbass, how should I look at that? How should I look at xmax requirements for midbass?
Is there any importance to look at a driver's efficiency at 100Hz if I aim for a 100Hz horn?

Many thanks for your time
Adam

Re: LAB12 driver - why is it so good and efficient? [message #53427 is a reply to message #53426] Thu, 16 April 2009 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hornresp simulations of basshorns have been very accurate for me. Below 200Hz, the driver operates as a rigid piston so the mathematical models David uses in Hornresp predict the response very accurately. The low-pass acoustic filter of the front chamber and the folds tends to suppress output up high, so in a basshorn, most of the output is from pistonic cone motion. As a result, the measurements of physical models usually correlate very well with the simulations from Hornresp models.

At higher frequencies, from midrange up, the diaphragm begins to flex. The cone no longer acts as a rigid piston, instead, parts of the cone become decoupled and operate independently, like smaller diaphragms with less mass. This makes the response at higher frequencies different than what a rigid piston would produce. It usually has more output than expected. Some cones that are pretty well damped have relatively smooth response in this region, but many become jagged up high. As a result, I find that midhorns should be built and measured to know the high frequency response. The Hornresp model does a pretty good job of predicting response at the low end, but it doesn't have the input data to predict what happens up high. That would require more sophisticated FEM models.

midrange horns [message #53430 is a reply to message #53427] Fri, 17 April 2009 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
"The cone no longer acts as a rigid piston, instead, parts of the cone become decoupled and operate independently, like smaller diaphragms with less mass....Some cones that are pretty well damped have relatively smooth response in this region, but many become jagged up high"

Damped = low qms = good for midrange horn?
(BTW, how does cone breakup come into play in a midrange horn?)

So, as you see it, for a midbass horn (up to 250), you would trust almost blindly upon simulations? No worries if a superior modeled driver is 6 db less efficient then another?

I gather, from a list of driver characteristics and people view about them, that it's generally a good idea to have a good BL/mass ratio (low mid and up).. What do you think about that?

Re: midrange horns [message #53431 is a reply to message #53430] Fri, 17 April 2009 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Qms is a measure of suspension damping, but this isn't the same thing as cone surface flex. That's what I was talking about, cone breakup. A cone that is damped is one that is resistant to flex. A cone's stiffness will determine how high in frequency it can remain pistonic, but its damping will determine how violently the cone flexes and resonates as ripples begin to appear on its surface.

About basshorn simulations, it's not that I would trust them "blindly", rather it is my informed opinion that the simulations track reality very closely. I think that's probably what you meant, but it is important to be aware this isn't blind faith. I've done a lot of simulations and I've measured a lot of horns, built as specificed by the models. Under about 500Hz (depending on the cone), the models are very accurate. At higher frequencies, cone flex prevents the models from being accurate because the models assume pistonic diaphragm motion.

Re: midrange horns [message #53432 is a reply to message #53431] Fri, 17 April 2009 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
so
higher stiffness = higher frequency in which flex starts
lower Qts = more control over flex when it starts

How can I know how stiff is the driver?

BTW, didn't meen to say you trust things blindly - I trust you not to do that.. I value your work and word and am thankful for your time.

Adam

CORRECTION [message #53433 is a reply to message #53432] Fri, 17 April 2009 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
"lower Qts = more control over flex when it starts "

Replace that with Qms...

Previous Topic: 2π Tower plans
Next Topic: 3 pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:15:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio