Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please
A tapped horn should do an honest 20Hz easy [message #51702 is a reply to message #51684] Thu, 10 January 2008 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
... and built vertically, wouldn't occupy much of a footprint. Plenty of discussion on building your own at diyaudio.com , if you have the patience.

Check the distortion [message #51708 is a reply to message #51702] Fri, 11 January 2008 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you ever measured the distortion of a tapped horn? For some reason, every distortion chart I've seen of a tapped horn shows high distortion, from 4x to 10x higher than a traditional basshorn through the passband. As an example, a popular commercial tapped horn sub produces 10% - 15% distortion at 28v. On that horn, 28v is approximately 200w, less than 1/100th of its 2400w rated power limit. Ten percent distortion at one percent power is not particularly impressive. Traditional basshorn subs are between 1% and 5% at the same drive level and push-pull driven folded horns have even lower distortion. I'm not sure what causes the increased distortion from tapped horns, if it's an unusual loading that does it or what but I am sure that the distortion measurements of commercial tapped horns have been noticeably higher than most other basshorn subs. Maybe DIY'ers will have better luck with them.

Re: Check the distortion (charts) [message #51962 is a reply to message #51708] Tue, 01 April 2008 13:06 Go to previous message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
amazing nobody measures tapped horns! if they do they don't post them. i searched everywhere for distortion charts. almost nothing! weird isn't it? the only thing i found was here--

Previous Topic: Gaskets
Next Topic: Pi 8 Plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:59:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout