Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Akhilesh, you gotta tell 'em...
Re: Korneff 45 [message #8077 is a reply to message #8075] Sun, 08 February 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree with you, it seems that output trannies are the ONE thng that can really add bass....for example i was talking to LArry at s5electronis (an experienced guy who has sold the K502 for many years) and I told him i would like more bass with the k502s, and he said the only way is to add significantly mor eexpensive output trannies. Anyways, the bass is fine, esp since i am running a pretty low ohm load on them.
I also asked him if changing hte output caps to auricap or hovland would make a diff, and he said none at all.. i would just be wasting money. Yet, if you read some "reviews" on the net, and esp. if you listen to the hypeof some "modders" they extol these fance caps like they will conpletely alter your system. I am not sure if they do.
BTW, you really MUST hear the zen se84C ...in my mind it's still the best tube amp i have ever heard, and it;s detail is not fatiguing at all...in fact it strikes a great balance between detail & musicality.

Re: Korneff 45 [message #8078 is a reply to message #8076] Sun, 08 February 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The most difficult defining personal preferences and what constitutes what to an individual, especially when the interactions are so interdependant between sources and envirnmental issues. I find that most comparisons among set-ups to be less than informative, where one hears musical bass another doesn't but where are the variables in the equation, properly terminated and set-up cartridges very rare, low output MC's so tempermental, cart-arm interface; Cd's with high output impedances, impedance issues between pre and amp. Back EMF messing with the feedback loop. What I hear applies to my set-up in my room with my source and that is the only thing we know. Gather people together agree on sound then go home and listen it's completley different, Cest La Vie'. Certain absolutes and that is why Waynes site is needed, usable-controlled variables and accurate measurements. Now we need that level of continuity applied to source, which is after all the determining factor. I would love to hear input from those who have tried something different before I commit to an amp topology as I think everyone would prefer to self design their system but don't want to trod that same-old.

Re: Korneff 45 [message #8079 is a reply to message #8077] Sun, 08 February 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have a point I would likwe to hear the 84's. Are you using PI4's?

Re: Korneff 45 [message #8080 is a reply to message #8078] Sun, 08 February 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree, though the for instance I'm speaking of was a room with 8 or 10 people and the front end and Korneff 45 remained a constant. We switched in a few different speakers to see how they would sound with that amp.

This is also why testing should be done after a device is made. Programs and simulators are a necessity for design work. As is the importance of measuring after the build to confirm the intent. Lastly, personal listening is necessary because as you can see with speakers for example. Various manufacturers all produce a speaker with a flat line or performance similar to others. Yet the sounds are different.
There are a lot of things that measurements do not expose, and still, we hear something different.

Bill

Re: Korneff 45 [message #8081 is a reply to message #8080] Sun, 08 February 2004 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely!

Re: Korneff 45 [message #8082 is a reply to message #8079] Mon, 09 February 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
NO, I use either
a) my own homemade speakers (about 98 db sensitivity)
or
b) a pair of Klipschorns from 1978 (104 db sensitivity)

thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Akhilesh, you gotta tell 'em... [message #8092 is a reply to message #8069] Sat, 14 February 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
The K502 is indeed "an amazing bang for the buck deal." I have one hooked up to a pair of Fostex FE208 Sigma speakers in Martin King design enclosures. I guarantee you, there are systems out there costing many, many times more that don't sound half as good. (Don't feel bad Wayne, that does NOT include my Welborne-Pi Theater 4 system!)

Re: Korneff 45 [message #8101 is a reply to message #8080] Fri, 20 February 2004 09:09 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good way of putting it. We need measurements in the design process to help figuring out what is going on, and confirming it, but in the end, it's all about what we hear coming out of a component. Measurements still can't quite predict just what something will sound like. Maybe someday...

Dave :^)

Previous Topic: Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid
Next Topic: tube crossovers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 07:42:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers