Home » Audio » Speaker » Room treatments and OB
Room treatments and OB [message #23500] Wed, 28 February 2007 10:54 Go to next message
Ivor the Engine Driver is currently offline  Ivor the Engine Driver
Chancellor
Has anyone used diffusers/traps/absorbers behind their OBs to good effect? This is something I want to try with my new passive OB arrays as part of an effort to eliminate all or most of the electronic complexity of my active arrays.

Not heard the term OB, & Why do you want to get rid of the electronics? [message #23502 is a reply to message #23500] Thu, 01 March 2007 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What is an OB array?

And secondly, why do you have a problem with electronics? The use of electronics in the crossover means that one can use low current devices, rather than passive components that will vary in their specifications due to the high power current, heat and other factors that are inherent in passive crossovers. Electronic crossovers have demonstratively superior qualities, in most circumstances(not all of course). Even in situations where one is using the most superior quality parts, there are still issues. By the time you've paid for the very high quality passive crossover components, you could have purchased a very low noise digital crossover from Behringer.

I'm afraid that I fail to understand why you would do that. Please explain.

Marlboro

OB = Open Baffle [message #23504 is a reply to message #23502] Thu, 01 March 2007 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's just an abbreviation. Open baffle speakers are dipoles. Linkwitz is fond of them, and I've noticed open baffle speakers have a pretty loyal following, sort of like the horn crowd. Not mainstream perhaps, but definitely popular in some circles.

That I understand. [message #23505 is a reply to message #23504] Thu, 01 March 2007 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Somehow I never heard anyone call it OB......maybe a senior moment since I am pushing 60 now.... ;-0.

Seems to me that there are specific characteristics in the speaker itself that are necessary for "OB" use. Since I was never into them, I never collected the data on that with them.

Does anyone know the T/S parameters that are required for OB to work?

Marlboro

Re: That I understand. [message #23506 is a reply to message #23505] Thu, 01 March 2007 10:39 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Linkwitz web site has a lot on open baffle, as far as T/S specs go I think Fs and a high Qts is what matters. Usually speakers with a Qts of .7 or higher are good for open baffles.
Bill W.

Previous Topic: DCA 4" driver in a non fold horn
Next Topic: ?Horn Questions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 09:06:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers