Home » Audio » Speaker » Looking at adding a mid woofer array
Looking at adding a mid woofer array [message #22765] Mon, 08 August 2005 13:57 Go to next message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
To my 17 mids/20 tweets per side, I'm thinking of adding a NSB type mid woofer array. I could go to 7 inch Dayton Aluminum mid woofs, but they are about 16 bucks each and the cost would pretty much limit me to 3 per side. I'm thinking more in the way of the Audax 6.5 AP170MO That Madisound is selling for 10.50 each, where I could put in 5 per side.

The electronic crossover(24 db L/R) here is around 500hz, and I may let them drop off naturally, or turn on the 50hz 12 db filter in the electronic crossover.

A sub woofer takes over at about 100.

5 per side gives a real array with all the benefits of an array.

eric j.

Re: Looking at adding a mid woofer array [message #22766 is a reply to message #22765] Mon, 08 August 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
What say others about crossing the NSB's right in the middle of the critical vocal range? The whole purpose of most mid arrays is to have smooth sailing from say 120hz to tweeter. The NSB's handle 120hz or so just fine. Zene

Re: Looking at adding a mid woofer array [message #22767 is a reply to message #22766] Mon, 08 August 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eric j. Uberseder is currently offline  eric j. Uberseder
Esquire
I'm not using the classic described NSB's, but i could go lower. Most people are using the classic 5 inch NSB's. Mine are 3 inchers.

Since I'm using electronic crossovers, the cross can be changed in a second with the turn of a dial.

I'm not interested in thoughts on whether I should do it, but on the use of 6-8 inch woofers to do so.

So while the discussion can go anyway it wants, it will not be answering my thoughts to to tell me I shouldn't. In interested in discussion around those speakers or some like them.

thanks

Re: Looking at adding a mid woofer array [message #22768 is a reply to message #22767] Mon, 08 August 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Should you have said in the first place what you have (3") my queery would have been much different. Yep, you need help to your sub. Try to make the speakers as complimentary as you can. Paper to paper, etc. and even the same mfg if possible (that never seems to happen). A seamless crossover point is a primary concern. There is tremendous power in the 100hz - 500hz range. You may need a greater cone area than you indicate, but 6-8" is about a 16" dia speaker which sounds about right. Keep us posted as I'm facing the same kinds of problems with my NSB's. I hesitate to recommnd better 8" for the job as it usually hurts the pocket book. Zene

Re: Looking at adding a mid woofer array [message #22769 is a reply to message #22768] Mon, 08 August 2005 19:39 Go to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
Yeah.....

I doubt whether I can find 8 inch SAMMI's for 10 bucks each.

Thanks. Makes sense to me. Actually I've put one of the 3 inchers in the 23 inch PVC tubes and put it as the right full range speaker balanced by the audax, vifa and 12 inch woofer on the right, and I cannot tell the difference between it and the big speaker in its spot. I cannot imagine what 17 of them will do.

eric j.

Previous Topic: Meet belle lab, a new manufacturer of single driver fullrange loudspeakers
Next Topic: D'Appilito array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 22:25:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout