Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two PI depth adjustment
Two PI depth adjustment [message #97811] Sun, 30 June 2024 13:54 Go to next message
Tronographic is currently offline  Tronographic
Esquire
Hey Gang!

So I'm about to glue up the outer panels of my Two-PIs I'm building... And then I see on the blueprints that "all panels are 5/8" Stock ...

Rut Roh!

I used 3/4" Baltic Birch.

The 15x22 dimensions are set at this point as my rabbets are all cut...But luckily I haven't trimmed the depth dimension yet... the panels are still about 11-7/8" deep.

What depth do I make the cabs to compensate for the panel thickness difference?

Also I will be using 5/8" poplar cleats around the inside front and back to glue in the baffles. Do I need to compensate displacement for this as well?

Also, what online speaker box volume calculators are you guys using these days?

Thanks!
Re: Two PI depth adjustment [message #97812 is a reply to message #97811] Sun, 30 June 2024 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The difference is only 1/8", so you can "grow" the cabinet dimensions this much to keep the volume the same.

Be sure the port length is right too - Its length is from the front of the baffle to the edge of the port inside the cabinet.
Re: Two PI depth adjustment [message #97813 is a reply to message #97812] Sun, 30 June 2024 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tronographic is currently offline  Tronographic
Esquire
Thanks Wayne...

I used this to figure out how much to increase the depth to compensate for the thicker panels, since I already had the height and width locked in.

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec

Increasing the depth about a 1/2" to 15-1/2" got the volume pretty close to the same as the stock dimensions

So I ended up with about 10-5/8" deep, I had to fudge the volume of the braces and cleats... And my width actually ended up at 14-15/16" after it was all glued up. So I figured better to round up than round down...

Also, if I decide to roundover the port front say with a 1/2" roundover for aesthetics, do I measure the port length from right behind the rounded portion? Basically the straight section of the port?

Thanks!
Re: Two PI depth adjustment [message #97814 is a reply to message #97813] Sun, 30 June 2024 18:21 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There might be some kind of diameter offset formula for various radius roundovers, but I've never looked for one. Without other information, I'd keep the port length as specified from baffle front to rear edge.
Previous Topic: Barkyard BBQ Drive-in Theater Speakers....
Next Topic: Pi midhorn with AE TD10m
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 19:31:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout