Home » Audio » General » Do the gold cables really get a better sound?
Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86228] Sun, 01 October 2017 18:44 Go to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I have found that there are a number of people who swear by the use of the more expensive gold cables because they say the sound you get is better. Is this true?
Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86232 is a reply to message #86228] Sun, 01 October 2017 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gold doesn't oxidize as badly as other contacts, so it makes a better connection. That's the main thing that gold is good for in a cable - the mechanical connection is better. You don't really need the entire conductor through the whole cable path to be gold, just the contacts.

Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86406 is a reply to message #86228] Fri, 27 October 2017 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I've wondered that myself, Wayne Parham, so thanks for answering. I thought all cables were created equal. Is gold considered better than copper then? What do the cheaper brands use for their connectors?
Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86410 is a reply to message #86228] Sat, 28 October 2017 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I have never considered this before, when making a purchase but I think that this will be one serious consideration in case I need them anytime soon. Is the price range really that big?
Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86411 is a reply to message #86410] Sat, 28 October 2017 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Copper is a fine conductor, so it's great for the wire. But it oxidizes easily, and copper oxide is an insulator so it doesn't make a good connector.

That's why it is best to use gold or silver at the ends for connections. Gold doesn't oxidize easily and while silver does, silver oxide is a conductor so it isn't bad. Even tinning the ends of a copper wire with solder helps make a better connection.

Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86414 is a reply to message #86411] Sat, 28 October 2017 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Thank you again for the quick reply. I'm getting into DIY stuff at home and am keeping a folder of tips. It's also good to know for shopping purposes. Thanks a bunch!
Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86643 is a reply to message #86228] Sat, 25 November 2017 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I know that there are many types of wires that will oxidize. I wasn't sure that silver was as good as gold. Silver tarnishes. Would that prohibit a good connection?
Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86646 is a reply to message #86643] Sat, 25 November 2017 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I personally prefer gold for contacts but I will say that since silver oxide is a conductor, it is at least better than copper oxide which is an insulator.

Re: Do the gold cables really get a better sound? [message #86702 is a reply to message #86646] Sun, 03 December 2017 14:10 Go to previous message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Thanks for the explanation of the difference between why silver is better than copper in cable connectors. I didn't realize that silver oxide (tarnish) was capable of conducting. Thanks.
Previous Topic: Wireless earbuds that stay put while at the gym?
Next Topic: Can someone explain the difference between....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 02:42:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio