Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 vs JBL 4430? Wayne? (The difference between the two)
Pi 4 vs JBL 4430? Wayne? [message #85304] Fri, 02 June 2017 18:01 Go to next message
turnitdown is currently offline  turnitdown
Esquire
I built the Pi 4s years ago and love them. I have since acquired JBL 4430s and now love them both. My questions are (LF extension notwithstanding): is the 45 x 90 vs the 100 x 100 degrees dispersion angle making me like the 4 Pi more? Are there drawbacks in the JBL horn, or is it just the more focused dispersion of the 4 Pi horn/waveguide is the only difference?
Re: Pi 4 vs JBL 4430? Wayne? [message #85323 is a reply to message #85304] Sat, 03 June 2017 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think I should remark on audio quality or opinions comparing the two. But I can say these things:

1. The 4430 was the design influence for all my DI-matched two-way designs.

2. One big difference is the tall vertical pattern of the JBL horn versus the more narrow pattern I use. See "Matching directivity in the vertical and the horizontal planes" and pages 12-16 of the "High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers" document for my thoughts about that and the reasons I prefer a narrower vertical pattern.

3. Another difference is specific to the waveguide I use. The design approach of a waveguide is to gradually widen the plane wave motion of the wavefront exiting the compression driver into the pattern desired. The design approach of a CD horn is to scatter the wavefront with a diffraction slot and then constrain it to the desired pattern with the flare. See "H290C Horn/Waveguide" and pages 4-11 of the "High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers" document for more information about the differences between these two approaches.

Re: Pi 4 vs JBL 4430? Wayne? [message #85324 is a reply to message #85323] Sat, 03 June 2017 10:15 Go to previous message
turnitdown is currently offline  turnitdown
Esquire
EXACTLY! They are both EXCELLENT loudspeaker systems. I believe I am simply hearing the different "shape" each one is throwing into the room. Most interesting.
Previous Topic: Mid horn question
Next Topic: Rs loading
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 18:22:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout