Home » xyzzy » Tower » Farewell to Oldsmobile
Farewell to Oldsmobile [message #53941] Thu, 29 April 2004 03:43 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
GM closes the doors on the old company today. Sometime between breakfast and lunch today, a dark red Oldsmobile Alero will roll off the assembly line in Lansing Michigan surrounded by an invitation-only audience paying its last respects to America’s oldest automotive brand. The car will be the 35,229,218th Oldsmobile built since Ransom E. Olds established the brand in 1897, and it will be the last.

When I think of progress at the big three American automobile manufacturers, I am reminded that Chevrolet introduced a 288 cubic inch 90-degree V8 with overhead valves, 3.375" bore and 4" stroke in 1917. They didn't build another V8 until 1955, and it was virtually identical to their 1917 model. This engine design is still one of the most popular on the road today, almost 90 years later.

Re: Farewell to Oldsmobile [message #53942 is a reply to message #53941] Thu, 29 April 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello is currently offline  Hello
Esquire
by-by....

Re: Farewell to Oldsmobile [message #53943 is a reply to message #53941] Fri, 30 April 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I always loved the Olds line. On our honeymoon we had the use of a brand-new black, red leather interior, 98. I felt like Tony Soprano.

The Cutlass 442, the "Rocket V8", the Toronado (especially the Caliente versions), all very cool cars to me.

I drove an 88 for a while, and I had something they called a Starfire Firenza for about six years. They made a very few in 1978 and a few more in 1979, but that was it. It was a Starfire hatchback sort of car with a V6, wide tires, and a just incredible suspension for a production car in the midst of Detroit's darkest days. That car would corner as fast as you dared drive it. If I parked it at my parent's house my Dad would grab the keys and disappear with it.

Later, like in 1980 or '81, Olds started building something called a Firenza that wasn't anything like the original car. I was sorry they didn't get the reaction they wanted from the original and keep it going.

I'll bet you $1 that the only reason they dropped Olds and not Buick is because of the name: "Olds" sends the wrong message. Of course had they brought back the Cutlass 442 with the capabilities of the last-generation Trans-Am, "Olds" probably wouldn't have seemed "old".

Re: Farewell to Oldsmobile [message #53944 is a reply to message #53943] Sat, 01 May 2004 02:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, along the same lines, I loved the television commercial about ten years back that said "This isn't your Dad's Oldsmobile." They pulled it after about a day 'cause it was promoting a 150HP car, probably very nice but "Dad's Olds" could very well have been a 400HP Cutlass 442.

Previous Topic: Tornadoes
Next Topic: I knew it!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 21:42:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout