Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » argg! paint(?) flaking from H290's
argg! paint(?) flaking from H290's [message #38492] Mon, 30 September 2002 08:11 Go to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
what the heck is up with this...I don't recall painting them! Sam
Re: argg! paint(?) flaking from H290's [message #38495 is a reply to message #38492] Mon, 30 September 2002 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
One of mine is doing the same thing....not even mounted yet!
Kelly
Re: argg! paint(?) flaking from H290's [message #38499 is a reply to message #38495] Mon, 30 September 2002 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow - That sucks!

I wonder why they would paint those things in the first place?

to hide the swirls from the vinyl records [message #38504 is a reply to message #38499] Mon, 30 September 2002 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
they melted down to make them with :(
I asked the folks at E if the chips were toxic...if they say they don't paint them, I'll chalk it up to a blown fuse in my memory. It looks like "lack of adhesion" where the inside corners are, like maybe the surface coating "shrank" after application, and pulled away from the (improperly prepared?) surface slightly. Sam
Re: argg! paint(?) flaking from H290's [message #38510 is a reply to message #38492] Mon, 30 September 2002 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
the last 2 pairs i purchased looked worse than product coming out of china. paint flaking, remnants of plastic stuck in the throats and round pencil eraser sized indentations around the frame. my new horns from bill martinelli are great on the other hand. i'll post photo's tomorrow.

cheers,

george

Another vote for the Martinelli's [message #38511 is a reply to message #38510] Mon, 30 September 2002 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, many of mine have those "round pencil eraser sized indentations" around the leading edge too. They must be injection mold riser holes. I've considered filling them to improve cosmetics, but I've never actually done that. The two-hole mount pattern is easy to use, but the three-hole pattern is difficult. You have to remove the throat plate and remove some material, in some cases. And debris is often present in the throat, but that's easy to sand smooth. When making fully assembled speakers with this horn, I always touch up the throat if debris is present. But none of these things is as annoying to me as the thin edge for mounthing. That has always been difficult.

Now I see that the stock we get here in America is the same as you get in Canada. It's a good sounding horn and the price is right, but it does have its share of problems.

Personally, I used to always use the Peavey CH-3's for larger speakers, but so many preferred the H290's that I started stocking mostly those. The Professional Series four π's and a couple others always used the H290's, but most of the rest used the CH-3's. Both are good sounding horns, and I like 'em both. But mounting was easier on the CH-3's and I always thought they looked better in large speakers.

So I agree with your assessment 100%. If you really want a great horn, go for Martinelli's.

Martinelli wood horn

reply from E [message #38518 is a reply to message #38492] Tue, 01 October 2002 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
"I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the finish on your
horns. Indeed we have experienced some instances where the finish was
flaking off of the product, but were unaware that any of the items in
question made it out to consumers. We noticed the problem with a batch we
received approximately 2 years ago and thought we had destroyed all of them.

In any event, according to the manufacturer, there was a problem with the
compatibility of the paint with one of the components in the plastic
material. We've had one other incident since then, but think the problem
has since been corrected.

Personally, I think that the finish was coming off because the surface of
the horns were very slick.

On behalf of Eminence, we would certainly be glad to replace the products
for you. At the same time, it might be less trouble for you to simply
lightly scratch the surface and repaint with some spray paint of your
choice. This might eliminate the need for removing the horn and switching
the compression driver to the new horn. Again, we will be happy to replace
the items in question if you so desire.

I cannot say if the paint would be harmful to a pet or human if ingested,
but as with most paints, I would not recommend it.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and
will be glad to send you replacements upon your request. Please let me know
how you prefer to proceed."

Well guys, they ARE painted from the factory. E is committed to standing behind their product, but as he says, painting them again myself is less trouble than returning them and installing a new pair. Guys with H290's laying around that are flaking should send them back, that way E will be reminded the problem still exists. I still think they are a bargain, and I knew I should have sanded them and put a better finish on them from the start, which I will now do:) Sam

Re: reply from E [message #38525 is a reply to message #38518] Tue, 01 October 2002 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Sam,

I would just comment that if there is an adhesion problem between the paint and the properties of the plastic from that batch run. Two things you should think of

If you dont sand through the existing paint. the new paint will fall off when the rest of the old paint does.

If E had problems getting the "right" paint to adhere to the that batch run. It may be a challenge to find a better paint to replace it.

There are good paints and surface preps for plastic. Sounds like a better idea to let them replace them for the long term.

just some thoughts,

Bill

figured I would sand [message #38533 is a reply to message #38525] Wed, 02 October 2002 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
the front enough to remove the last traces of molding marks, and do the same to the horn interior. I'd like to try some flat black "duck blind" paint...might adhere well enough to their plastic if it stays on kayacks and stuff OK(it does!).
I look at this as an opportunity to open them up, and rewire them for biamping, or at least throw a pair of altec 909 HF's in them for a listen:) Sam

wife says paint the H290's with "mahogany" spray paint, might look OK against the natural birch...

Decoupage [message #38536 is a reply to message #38533] Wed, 02 October 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Photocopy some nice wood grain, color (stain) it, cut and glue it on, seal it, sit back and admire. Maybe suck down a couple cold ones while they dry for perspective.

John

Previous Topic: Delta or Alpha?
Next Topic: Wayne: Please send Theater 4 Pi Plans - Thanks!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 00:11:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio