Home » Audio » General » New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online
New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online [message #2404] Wed, 09 November 2005 21:47 Go to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Earl Geddes is writing a book aimed at hard-core hobbyists who don't have a highly technical background. First chapter online now at Earl's website.

Enjoy!

Duke

Re: New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online [message #2405 is a reply to message #2404] Thu, 10 November 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
THis is fantastic! Thanks for the link, Duke.
I look forward to reading this book!
Hey Earl, if you like, I can even review it for you, as a contribution for our hobby.
-akhilesh

Re: New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online [message #2406 is a reply to message #2405] Thu, 10 November 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
An y and all comments will be considered, but there is no guarantee that they will make the cut.

Please note that posting here will not necessarily get to me. Comments should be explicitly mailed to gedlee@gedlee.com as well as posted if desired.

Re: New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online [message #2407 is a reply to message #2406] Thu, 10 November 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mr Geddes; I read the first chapter of your book and found nothing I could disagree with.
Can I ask a favor? If the Stradivarious Violin is recognised as one of the best examples of the Luthiers art as a result of it's tone and; well basically the sound it makes. And it is recognised as such by every artist of the instrument down through the ages without question. There are no Strad disclaimers. Then can we as audio hobbiests agree that the Stradivarious Violin represents what can be called a Reference Standard for musical sound? And that that is not an opinion but is in fact a truth? Concerning sound and sound quality?
Is that possible in this situation?
My point being this: the Strad can be understood by all just using their ears to be great sound. So why can't that same position be applied to audio reproducing that Stradivarious?
This is not a critiscism or even a reflection of the points you make in your book. It is merely me asking if you believe that is possible in order for me to have a way to reflect on the philosophy of your thesis.
Thank You.
I will send this question to your site also as I find it the most interesting theme in all of sound reproduction.

Apples and oranges [message #2408 is a reply to message #2407] Thu, 10 November 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Very good post!

The two situations are not comparable.

One is the "production" of music and the other is the "reproduction" of music. The former is purely subjective while the later is, for the most part, not subjecticve at all.

A musical instrument speaker usually has a lot of harmonic distortion because this makes the instrument sound richer. The player may even add more distortion. This is the artists right. But I have no philisophical right to add anything to the performance if I want to call it reproduction.

And this is a very good question:

"So why can't that same position be applied to audio reproducing that Stradivarious?"

If listeners all listened to the Strad and then lsitened to a reproduction as a direct comparison then you have the beginings of a valid controlled listening test. (You also have to control the environment, playback level, lots of things). But then the Strad doesn't really make any difference does it? I mean I could just as easily use a really crappy violin and as long as its poor sound was reproduced then the test is just as valid.

Now what if the sound system some how made the poor violin sound good, perhaps even better than the Strad. Would this then be a "good" sound system?

You see you have highlighted a strong point that I will make in the text. That someone can only evaluate a sound system for good reproduction if they are intimately familiar with what is being reproduced.

A classic example is having a musician listen to two sound systems with different conductors and orchestras playing on each but playing the same piece. They will almost inherently pick the one with the better performance as sounding better. It's easy for musicians to hear the notes, but it's much more difficult for them to hear the sound. You see the two things are quite different - a point that is often missed.

I have a good friend who is a well known concert pianist. He's teaching me to hear the "performance" and I am teaching him to hear the "sound reproduction".

Good Book, Will Be Mostly Ignored [message #2409 is a reply to message #2404] Thu, 10 November 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If the rest of the book is written as clearly as the first chapter this book will be valuable to serious audiophiles who are willing to consider some alternatives to the "conventional wisdom". But as Geddes points out, audiophiles' beliefs are formed in much the same way as religious beliefs, and most of us are not open to ideas that contradict what our "faith" tells us to believe.

The mainstream audio community (manufacturers, dealers, magazine editors, reviewers, etc.) will ignore it like they do most other non mainstream ideas and products. If forced to acknowledge the book's existence they will attempt to discredit its content, because it's impossible to get someone to accept a new idea when accepting it will cost them money, power or prestige.

Re: New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online [message #2410 is a reply to message #2406] Thu, 10 November 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Not a problem, Earl. I have way too much stuff to review in my job anyways.
Look forward to seeing your chapters unfold, and hopefully getting a chance to read them.
-akhilesh

Re: Apples and oranges [message #2411 is a reply to message #2408] Thu, 10 November 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good answer; one question, has the point you make regarding the two orchestra's and the difference in performance been confirmed in the literature?
That is the best answer I have seen in response to my question.
Thanks.
Looking forward to the rest of the chapters.

Re: Good Book, Will Be Mostly Ignored [message #2412 is a reply to message #2409] Thu, 10 November 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The audio industry is a funny bunch. It's pretty low tech really, so charlatans can prosper, sort of like alchemists.

Re: Apples and oranges [message #2413 is a reply to message #2411] Thu, 10 November 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
"has the point you make regarding the two orchestra's and the difference in performance been confirmed in the literature?"

Not to my knowledge. That is based on personal experience with the myriad of professional musicians that I am aquanted with.

Previous Topic: Articles on DRM
Next Topic: computer confusion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 15:18:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout