Home » Audio » Speaker » TC Sounds Array components for DIY
TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23055] Sun, 09 July 2006 18:47 Go to next message
SE-Raider is currently offline  SE-Raider
Chancellor
I was curious as to feedback from those here regarding TC Sounds offering line source compponents to the DIY market....

http://www.tcsounds.com/linesource.htm

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23060 is a reply to message #23055] Mon, 10 July 2006 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
SE-Raider,

I don't see anything else on the TC Sounds site that references the individual components (midbass and full length ribbon) mentioned on the line array overview. TC Sounds may be an OEM to some other company vs. offereing these parts to the DIY market. It is hard to be encouraged about availability of these parts for DIY use at this point.

Jim

PS. You need to come see me again. Upgraded digital active crossover for the near field arrays--much better sounding--and a new Jordan JX92S with a ribbon MLTL.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23063 is a reply to message #23060] Mon, 10 July 2006 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Somewhere on one of the forums where the new TC site was announced, the company representative indicated that they would be offering the components to the DIY community, the ribbon offered in full length and shorter versions as well, IIRC. I'll try to find the post.

I am considering line arrays for my HT room mounted in wall. The BG's are cost prohibitive. I hope whatever TC offers might be more favorable. If you interpolate the products shown on their site I could see the tweeter and mid unit wall mounted with their 3" depth subwoofer mounted below it as having high potential for an exceptional T set up. I would think that line array attributes would translate well to the typical HT listening room. I remember distinctly how musical your line arrays were even from te next room and how close proximity to one speaker doesn't negate the output of the other speaker. This characteristic especially I think would mean that an entire HT listening room within a near field environment would provide a very natural and realistic experience. Another posibility that is intriquing, would be to use te space available between the studs in an inwall application for a transmission line enclosure.

I'll have to come check out your new additions. I really appreciated your hospitality and patience.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23064 is a reply to message #23063] Tue, 11 July 2006 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Jim: I found the reference for the TC line source info at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=20515

"As far as line source goes, well I don’t want to give too much away, but as shown in the site, we will have 7+ foot tall neodymium ribbon tweeters inside that speaker. We will sell the tweeters on our site for DIY purposes, but I can’t give a timeline. But yes, these are 7 feet tall with no breaks, not individual ribbons. We will also have shorter and taller versions too.

The speaker in the picture is one of our prototypes, actually that’s a rendering of it I did in 3D Studio Max, but it looks the same as the original speaker which was not available for photography..

-Kyle @ TC"

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23065 is a reply to message #23064] Tue, 11 July 2006 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
SE-Raider,

Thanks for the link. I'm from Missouri until they disclose more stuff. If these long planars are like the long B-G and other ribbons, then they will suffer from low sensitivity and rolled off highs. I would like to be impressed as a long ribbon which has reasonable sensitivity and stellar highs would be a wonderful thing to hear.

Jim

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23066 is a reply to message #23065] Tue, 11 July 2006 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Yeah, I hear you.

Is there something inerent in the design of long ribbons that makes low sensitivity and rolled of highs likely?

I hope they may be on to something, but we'll see. If there's a pre-sale I'll really be suspicious. I'm also curious about what they have planned for mid range units, as they are the most vague about this.

jw

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23067 is a reply to message #23066] Wed, 12 July 2006 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As ribbon size grows, so does moving mass.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23068 is a reply to message #23066] Wed, 12 July 2006 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Several factors come to mind. As Wayne points out the moving mass is an issue, sagging in the gap, resistance of the traces (planar implementation), width of the ribbon (wants to be wider for power handling at low end of band but narrow for wide dispersion and frequency coverage across upper end of band), intensity of magnetic field (neo magnets likely will help this sitaution), etc. What often results (B-G 75" planars come to mind) are implementations that have low sensitivity (less than 90 dB SPL), compromised upper end (above 15 kHz), limited dynamic capability/power handling on the low end of the band (below 300-400 Hz), etc.

I do like discrete tweeter line arrays made from the 5-7" true ribbons from Fountek and Aurum Cantus. You get excellent horizontal dipersion, high sensitivity, and exceptional sound albeit at a price and coverage only down to about the 1000 kHz area .

Jim

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23069 is a reply to message #23068] Wed, 12 July 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
So other than that it should be easy lol.

Thanks for the explanation.

Re: TC Sounds Array components for DIY [message #23070 is a reply to message #23067] Wed, 12 July 2006 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
I guess maybe what I am not understanding is how the long ribbon would be different from an accumulation of shorter ones. I am assuming the long ribbon is not just a larger ribbon on the same structure as the smaller one, but rather is adequately supported by its suspension and magnetic structure. I'm not expressing myself well; I hope you understand what I am getting at. Or put another way, essentially a seriies of the shorter ribbons on the same frame, but with the ribbon continuous rather than segmented.

Thanks

Previous Topic: Dipole for an array. Is it...?
Next Topic: Fredarrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 14:13:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout