Home » Audio » Speaker » P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN
P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN [message #21674] Mon, 21 August 2006 21:10 Go to next message
Eddie Munster is currently offline  Eddie Munster
Esquire
I am taking a good look at the P Audio BM15CX38 and the open baffle design at the Common Sense audio site.

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/paudio.html

I like the size (not some massive bassilla) and it sounds like these are excellent drivers. Has anyone tried them? Any experience with these drivers? Some have said that they are only PA drivers while others say that they are similar to old Altec's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eddie

Re: P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN [message #21675 is a reply to message #21674] Tue, 22 August 2006 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Look also at Hawthorne audio. THey have a 15" driver that is recommended highly by some folks who post here. It's also a lot cheaper. THe P audio driver itself is very expensive. Not sure if it;s better, never have seen comparisons.
-akhilesh

Re: P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN [message #21676 is a reply to message #21675] Tue, 22 August 2006 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a question. I was under the impression that a relatively high QTS is desirable for an open baffle driver. I looked at the specs for the 15" P Audio drivers recommended for open baffle mounting. The QTS for the BM15CXA is .24, and for the BM15X38 it's .22. These values seem more appropriate for horn or MLTL mounting. Wouldn't open baffle mounting produce weak bass response?

How about the T/S specs of the Silver Iris by Hawthorne? [message #21677 is a reply to message #21676] Tue, 22 August 2006 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for ferreting them out, Fred! I was about to look for them and you saved me the trouble. This gives mepause. 0.7 is the magic number for OB (based on my readings, don't ask me why: I don't understand the theory well enough).
SSounds like this Q value is not too great. Next, I need to find the Iris driver Q.
Wonder what that will be. Maybe Mr. Hawthorne can tell us?
-akhilesh

Eminence Alpha 12 and 15 [message #21678 is a reply to message #21677] Tue, 22 August 2006 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

To do a proof of concept, you might check out the large Eminence Alpha's. They have very high Q, so they'll work well on open baffles.

Re: Eminence Alpha 12 and 15 [message #21679 is a reply to message #21678] Tue, 22 August 2006 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Wayne. Good tip. I need ot measure my Univ drivers t see the Qt, since i fear it may be too low. Maybe just keep them in the sealed box.

-akhilesh

Re: How about the T/S specs of the Silver Iris by Hawthorne? [message #21680 is a reply to message #21677] Tue, 22 August 2006 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Silver Iris QTS is .91. Apparently they had Eminence modify their drivers to make them more suitable for open baffle mounting by increasing the Q. The QTS for the Eminence Beta 12CX is .48

Wouldn't it be great if we could get Hawthorne to exhibit at the LSAF next May! I'm confident he would generate some sales from this.

Re: P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN [message #21681 is a reply to message #21676] Tue, 22 August 2006 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Fred,

Yes, you would need a higher Qts driver or as an alternate very heavy equilization to achieve decent bass from these low Qts drivers.

My warning on most of the Common Sense Audio stuff is that their snake oil descriptions usually exceed the capabilities of what they sale. Just because someone offers you an open baffle box with a low Q driver, don't assume that you will get any bass from it.

Jim

I know my input is not wanted here... [message #21682 is a reply to message #21679] Tue, 22 August 2006 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
But look at the Linkwitz Orion - the woofer Qts is 0.17

You're on the wrong track, as I tried to advise in my earlier post.

Re: P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN [message #21683 is a reply to message #21674] Tue, 22 August 2006 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Eddie,

Let me suggest that you consider the Hawthorne drivers referenced below as they are superior for an open baffle application vs. the P Audio drivers. If I was doing this design, I would use Martin J. King's worksheets (he has a current set that models either one or two open baffle woofers). That approach would get you out of the mystic realm into the objective space of how your project would really work. Plus it will beat the Common Sense Audio approach by miles.

Jim

Previous Topic: My University UC-153 drivers
Next Topic: The lazy Henry Kloss Array : )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 09:59:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio