Home » Audio » Speaker » If you ...
Re: If you ... [message #23956 is a reply to message #23955] Sun, 09 September 2007 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
I would place the ribbon to the side so you have the option of adding more ribbons when your budget allows.

Re: If you ... [message #23957 is a reply to message #23956] Sun, 09 September 2007 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danse is currently offline  Danse
Esquire
What would the other benifits be of adding more ribbons outside of having you locked in the sitting position?
In your opinion would be better 1 center Fountek Cd2, or 8 Dayton PT2C?
From what I understood you were looking for possible lower cost opions. Needles also have a smaller footprint, that may be appealing to some.

Your thoughts?

Re: If you ... [message #23958 is a reply to message #23957] Sun, 09 September 2007 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
If it were me I would prefer eight PT2C's over a single Fountek because it would be a true array. It also gives you better vertical coverage in addition to the smoother power response.

ART Arrays [message #23961 is a reply to message #23918] Tue, 18 September 2007 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you seen Fred Thompson's ART Array design? A pair of them costs $350.00 to build.

Re: ART Arrays [message #23962 is a reply to message #23961] Tue, 18 September 2007 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes I've seen Fred's design. I've designed "quasi-arrays" with a single ribbon tweeter but prefer to have a line of planar or ribbon drivers.

Re: ART Arrays [message #23964 is a reply to message #23962] Tue, 18 September 2007 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I can understand that. But to me, the biggest advantage of arrays for home hifi is the reduction of floor bounce, which is accomplished with the midwoofer array. Using a single tweeter is a cost saver. I think Fred would say that more expensive arrays can be made with definite advantages, but I think he feels his ART Array design is a good one for the money. It clearly measured well.

Re: ART Arrays [message #23967 is a reply to message #23964] Tue, 18 September 2007 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
It's really about tradeoffs and unfortunately the extra drivers can make for an expensive project.

Ribbons vs domes [message #23969 is a reply to message #23946] Sat, 22 September 2007 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"The use of planars or ribbons is better for the following reasons:

1) better sensitivity

2) lower interference patterns in the vertical plane

3) can be operated at a lower crossover point than the small neo dome tweeters"

1. 30 dome tweeters have a sensitivity of 106 db. That's pretty high. 8 planar Daytons will come in at 105. So that's a wash.

2. Theoretically this is certainly true. Sonically, I'm not entirely sure that its audible. I've not been able to find any research suggesting that its a viable concern. Certainly neither the Pipe Dreams people nor the McIntosh people have been concerned about this enough to switch to ribbons.

3. Operating at a lower crossover point is an important consideration: IF YOU ARE USING 6-7 INCH MID RANGE SPEAKERS. For off axis performance,and for the ability to adequately handle the frequencies between 1200 and 3000, having a lower crossover is very important. However if your mid range units are 3 inchers, then off axis performance is less of an issue(especially in you average living rooms anyhow) and coverage in the upper midrange is already assured.

------

A three way line array using (per side) 30 c-to-c .9 inch dome tweeters, 17 - 23 three inch cone mid ranges, and one 12 inch woofer is a viable way to get high sensitivity, and quality sound without using ribbon or planar speakers. It all twists on the mid ranges. If you use 6-7 inch mid ranges then you have to use ribbon/planars.

Marlboro

Re: Just a restatement of what I said about the McIntosh [message #24041 is a reply to message #23947] Wed, 28 November 2007 11:31 Go to previous message
JPH is currently offline  JPH
Chancellor
Jim
I'm thinking of building a pair of arrays like the XTR 28 .
When you look closely at the XTR 28 you find out that the tweeters are spaced by at least one inch wich makes the c to c about 2 inches wich is a source of combing problem ? could you explain?
What would be a good candidate midrange to the aurasound 1" tweeter in a price range that would match the tweeter in quality ?
As for the woofers I already own 4 12" peerless that I would use from 120 Hz down .
JP

Previous Topic: Replacing Monsoon MM:1000 speakers
Next Topic: Basshorn article in AudioXpress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 06:50:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers