Home » Audio » General » Earl Geddes chapter on Measurements now online
Re: IDEA [message #2790 is a reply to message #2781] Mon, 20 February 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
This may sound like a good idea, but unless you do things right you will get more noise back than results.

And Wayne, you are missing my point, and miss reading or miss interpreting what I said.

None of the components were "cheap" they were all very well designed and built units, nothing Chinese. They still differed in price by about 5:1.

And I also never said that no one could hear a difference, they probably could. But you seem to be confusing audibility with preference, which is quite common. They are most distinctly NOT the same thing. Audibility is the much easier thing to test for than preference. I do not doubt for a minute that you could tell the difference between a JBL driver and a cheap Chinese copy.

I do doubt that you could consitantly rank order your preference for three different systems where only the compression driver changed between three different manufacturers of hi-end products - like JBL, B&C and TAD. You and maybe others could probably tell they were different, but I doubt that there would be a statisticaly significant rank ordering of the results.

There is no point in your doing a blind subjective test yourself if you can so causually throw out the results of others, like ours. You either accept blind results or you don't. You don't get to pick and choose the ones you accept and the ones that you don't.

At Ford we did a blind test of three sound systems and asked our eight "expert listeners" to rate them in four categories. Of the eight only two could be relied upon to yield consistant results in a statistical sense.

So while I support blind tests, you guys are going into this thing with a nieve point of view. It's highly unlikely that you will be able to "put this thing to rest" and very likely that you will mess up something making the results null or questionable. These are not trivial things to do and of the tests that I have seen, few have been done to an acceptable standard to be called "scientific." And almost none of them "put things to rest".

Re: IDEA [message #2791 is a reply to message #2781] Mon, 20 February 2006 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Let's talk seriously about doing it, Wayne.
We can discuss the testing protocol, and components we can use.
We'll talk soon.
I agree with you, we may have to give out a lot of door prizes!
Maybe just get people to do it becuase they want to be right...in a crowd like at GPAF that is motivation enough not to mess up the test deliberately!
Heck, we can test drivers and even caps if you want. At the very least, we can test drivers and digital sources..maybe get Biob Brines's portable CD player, and compare it to a decent Sony unit.
It'll be fun, and we'll make it as scientific as we can!
-akhilesh

Re: IDEA [message #2792 is a reply to message #2790] Mon, 20 February 2006 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I understand your points. I agree that when the drivers chosen are all of good build quality, the differences between them become more a matter of preference than of performance.

Another point I'd like to make [message #2794 is a reply to message #2781] Thu, 23 February 2006 10:52 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Not only does one have to be careful to distinguish between "audible differences" and "preferences" one has to be carefull with the concept of "sonic accuracy".

For example, two speakers could be inaudibly different, or they could be audibly different. Now just finding out that they are audibly different does not say which one is prefered, that takes another type of test. But just saying that one speaker is prefered, does not say which speaker is more accurate.

All too often listening tests are performed badly and the results are questionable, but then they can be performed correctly, but the results don't say anything about preference or accuracy. Its trival to test for differences, difficut to test for preferences and an extremely difficult test to test for accuracy.

People will most certainly not always pick the most accurate speaker as the one that they prefer. Preference is not accuracy.

Subjective space is very shaky ground - thats hwy I prefer the objective which is far less prone to these pitfalls. But then whenever you quote the objective data someone says "Yea, but it sounds good to me."

Previous Topic: Question for Wayne about Great Plains
Next Topic: Room treatment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 01:15:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout