Home » Audio » Speaker » BR + TL + FH
Re: Acoustic versus electrical shaping? [message #20362 is a reply to message #20351] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
akhilesh,

I use electric filters in my speaker systems because they do not perform well without them. I do not feel that a filter degrades the sound any, so I guess one could be used on a horn if required. I am still new to horns and have not spnet much time building, testing, or listening to one. For me, a SS amp allows an easy implementation of a filter because the efficiency of the speaker is not critical, there is plenty of power. I am not sure I know how else to answer your questions.

Martin

Re: BR + TL + FH [message #20363 is a reply to message #20352] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Ralph,

I really do not know the answer to your question. In most cases you are looking to maximize the bass output to balance the mid and high end. You can use a back loaded horn to offset the baffle step but as you say the size becomes an issue. I don't see any easy way to get the volume of bass required to run a speaker system without a BSC circuit without it becoming very large like a back loaded horn. Bass reflex, TL's, TQWT's and closed boxes do not seem to produce this type of bass volume.

Martin

Re: BR + TL + FH [message #20364 is a reply to message #20353] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The best way to remain current on what I am working on and posting to my site is to add your name to the mailing list. I generally do not announce additons to my site on any of the forums figuring the really interested people are on the mailing list.

Martin

Re: BR + TL + FH [message #20365 is a reply to message #20358] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Merrill,

Thanks for the positive feedback on my site.

A few weeks ago I posted my first pass analysis of horn loaded (front and back) loudspeakers on my site. This si a first cut and I will be visiting several areas of horn design in more detail this winter. Horns have me fascinated and I hope to be able to look at things a little bit different from the way it has been done in the past.

After posting the horn articles, I took a slight detour to finish upgrading my closed and ported box worksheets to be 3D, standing waves in all three directions in the enclosure. This is almost done and I am going to write a short document on the impact of different standing waves on the system performance, this includes a look at the golden ratio design method.

Oh, at some point this winter I want to build another Lowther based speaker system.

Keeping busy,

Martin

Re: BR + TL + FH [message #20366 is a reply to message #20364] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oberon is currently offline  Oberon
Chancellor
Thanks!

Re: BR + TL + FH [message #20367 is a reply to message #20361] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oberon is currently offline  Oberon
Chancellor
Just a thought!

Re: Acoustic versus electrical shaping? [message #20368 is a reply to message #20362] Mon, 06 September 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
I guess the point I was raising (and we have all discussed it before but I thought it may be worthwhile bringning it up again) is:
Given a low Q , high eff driver with a rising frequency response (the usual candidate for a full range single driver speaker), one can either:
boost the lower frequencies using a horn, or
lower the rising frequencies using an electrical circuit

The former will lead to higher efficiency, but the latter will lead to cheaper construction (by far), ability to adapt parameter values and tailor to different rooms, and can even lead to multiple frequency spectra contouring. It will of course lead to lower efficiency. If one is using a decent power amp, it should be OK.

I know you have favored the latter approach, and to some extent, my home brew is a mix between the latter & the former ( I don;t use a horn but a traditional BR, with a subtle step circuit). The eff is around 95 db for me.

I just thought anyone who has not read our earlier posts on this may find this useful to know.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Acoustic versus electrical shaping? [message #20369 is a reply to message #20368] Mon, 06 September 2004 16:32 Go to previous message
Master
akhilesh,

Very nice summary! I think that you have stated the trade-offs and compromises involved accurately.

Martin

Previous Topic: Line array question using Bandor 50mm driver?
Next Topic: Doppler distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 12:16:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout