Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » more altec pi issues
Re: more altec pi issues [message #44979 is a reply to message #44978] Fri, 16 July 2004 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
The (slightly modded) Sansui turntable has since been replaced. In this photo, you can see my Russco Cuemaster and Hagerman Bugle phono pre, stock with 9V batteries:

Moving down, Bottlehead Foreplay with a LM3875 inverted gainclone power amp, also an old Kenwood tuner I picked up at a thrift:

The speakers are 1.6 cu ft top-vented boxes, with 6-1/2" drivers, but Fostex FE207Es (arriving Monday) will be replacing them soon. I think fullrange works well for apartment life, but when I graduate, move out, and get a real job, I'll need to have 15" woofers with horn-loaded mids and highs. :)

I forgot to mention . . . [message #44980 is a reply to message #44979] Fri, 16 July 2004 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
. . . the H/K CD changer at the bottom.

I guess my prejudices are showing . . . .

Re: I forgot to mention . . . [message #44981 is a reply to message #44980] Fri, 16 July 2004 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That must be a great little system! I really like the Fostex 206e, and I expect the 207e must be very nice too. I think that even if you get a larger system later, you'll probably want to keep that one too.

Re: I forgot to mention . . . [message #44982 is a reply to message #44981] Fri, 16 July 2004 18:14 Go to previous message
Baron
Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, I think it sounds quite nice. I built the cabinets with Diatones in the mind -- the current drivers (SOM-FR65) are underdamped and really want bigger cabinets --> lumpy bass. I went looking around for fullrangers that would work better, vintage and new, and saw that the FE207E with 3 ohm in series to bump up Q was ideal alignment. Those SOM drivers, though, excel in mids and highs: piano, vocals, saxophones, trumpets, guitars sound great, I really hope I don't miss that by moving to the Fostex drivers.

Have a great weekend!

Previous Topic: pialign.exe and XP
Next Topic: Theater 4pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 11:13:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers