Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Did you guys leave me a slice of Pi?
Re: Did you guys leave me a slice of Pi? [message #44849 is a reply to message #44845] Tue, 29 June 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hard to say when I'll have the plans ready. I have a lot on my plate these days.

Re: Did you guys leave me a slice of Pi? [message #44854 is a reply to message #44836] Tue, 29 June 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
>.....because I have a dual 18" IB sub that fills in the low end nicely.
====
?! What didn't you like about the CB?

GM

Re: Did you guys leave me a slice of Pi? [message #44858 is a reply to message #44854] Wed, 30 June 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Hi Greg, first and foremost I had a problem with the arms getting thrown out of alignment/belt wearing. I tried very hard to get some help from Servodrive but to no avail...their service is horrible (not that I should expect any nor did I approach them in this maner) all I asked was for some assistance in troubleshooting.
Even Mark Seaton who seems to have loads of time to post on the various internet forums never did come thru ...the last email I sent him I practically begged for help and I never did get a return.
Screw Servodrive and all of the people who run the place..they suck.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but if you can understand what I went thru I doubt you could blame me.

The second reason I got rid of it is because it was not that impressive output wise in the upper bass region....I basically got all of my money that I spent on the Contrabass back, which was a low $1600 that included $300 in freight and $300 in finishing.
I spent $1200 on my IB and Ive reached the peak..there is simply no way I could beat it , or a better way to say it is there is not way I would ever feel the need to.

correction: [message #44859 is a reply to message #44858] Wed, 30 June 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Whoops I forgot that I already had my QSC RMX1850 HD and I included that in the price of my IB...it actually only ran me $700 not $1200. :-)

Re: Did you guys leave me a slice of Pi? [message #44861 is a reply to message #44858] Wed, 30 June 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Hey JJ,

No, not really, though things aren't always as they seem. Sorry to hear this, not that I'm surprised WRT SD's service and MS's 'attitude', though I wish you had emailed me before 'throwing in the towel'. My experience with SD was abysmal, with Tom Danley and John Halliburton being the exceptions, and even they appeared to have their 'hands tied' to a great extent by Brad, the owner. WRT MS, I've only 'crossed swords' with him on technical issues on the various forums, mostly back when he was ~clueless, and WRT his lack of response to your emails I'm betting it's more about following Brad's business practice guidelines than his lack of interest or desire to help.

Now that it's gone, I can only speculate about what the real problem(s) was, but normally the only two ways this type of problem occurs (assuming nothing's loose/bent to start with) is either XOing it too high and/or with too low a slope order since at some HF point the system is moving so fast it literally slings itself to destruction. The other common problem is one of increasing gain too much. The vast majority of folks (including most FOH mixing 'engineers') are so used to hearing high distortion LF/midbass that they describe a very low distortion system such as a CB or well executed horn as 'dry' or 'sterile' sounding and/or lacking in 'detail', so they keep EQing it upwards until it sounds 'right' to them (audibly distorted). This leaves little/no dynamic headroom, ergo it mechanically 'hard clips', usually stretching or popping belts and/or bending the arms and/or hardware.

WRT it not being 'that impressive output wise', its capability far exceeds what can be experienced in a relatively nearfield app such as your room presents without immediate lifelong hearing impairment, so not sure what performance aspect you're referring to. Of course if you're already hearing impaired to some extent (as so many Americans are), then it's a moot point.

Regardless, after looking at your HT room, a low Q IB or well stuffed low Fc TL is a far better choice since much of the CB's LF forte' of ~flat response to

Re: Wayne can beat that [message #44868 is a reply to message #44848] Thu, 01 July 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Where is the 2226H ? I cannot seem to locate it.

Re: Wayne can beat that [message #44872 is a reply to message #44868] Thu, 01 July 2004 15:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 2226H is in "parts and options," section "cone drivers," subsection "medium format." You can click that link and it will take you right to it.

Previous Topic: QUICK! JBL parts for a song. Long Island
Next Topic: building plans for subwoofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 11:02:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout