Home » Audio » Speaker » Need Help understanding Fostex Line.
Re: Need Help understanding Fostex Line. [message #19960 is a reply to message #19955] Sat, 17 April 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice cabinets!
Is that a supertweeter there? What do you cross it at? What kind of crossover do you use?
Also, i couldn;t help noticing the amp in the pic at the bottom...those transformers look good...which ones are they?
-akhilesh

Re: Need Help understanding Fostex Line. [message #19961 is a reply to message #19959] Sat, 17 April 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yep, yep. I agree with you. I mean, cabinet tuning and build quality is important. The cabinet must be of proper size and acoustic parameters, and it also must be well-braced and things like that. So these are attributes that are important of the cabinet. But putting that aside, I understood what you meant. It's like race cars don't have to be pretty to win races.

I'm into aesthetics too, but I think that's another thing altogether. Forget about psychoacoustics and the fact that some speakers just look like they might perform better. Not talking about that. I just really like having speakers that look like a supermodel and sound like an opera singer.

Re: Need Help understanding Fostex Line. [message #19962 is a reply to message #19959] Sat, 17 April 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
>>In other words, the quality of the driver will probably determine the sound better than a fancy cabinet.

==For the most part.

Still resonance is an issue for most homemade cabs and that is directly affecting the output. How much of the output? What's another violin in an orchestra? Off with his head? It's all in expectations.

Appearance is usually a harbinger of what's beneath. Including

-Overal design, what are the expectations?
-commitment to quality top to bottom
-profficiency in applied materials and mechanics
-Concept and intent.
-inherent value. What are you trying to "say" by building what you build?

It seems to me that disregard for a system's appearance indicates more than the systems appearance. Hey, I'm an amatuer art critic.

TC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Need Help understanding Fostex Line. [message #19963 is a reply to message #19960] Sat, 17 April 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
>>Nice cabinets!

==Thanks.

>>Is that a supertweeter there? What do you cross it at? What kind of crossover do you use?

==t-90a, way up high, adjustable 12dbper oct, 2nd order, designed by Wally Malewics. That;s one design. Another couple designs can be used fixed value but have to be "in-room measured" to suit.

>>Also, i couldn;t help noticing the amp in the pic at the bottom...those transformers look good...which ones are they?

PX-25 monobloc by Art Audio, Sowter handwounds from England.

TC

Re: Need Help understanding Fostex Line. [message #19964 is a reply to message #19962] Mon, 19 April 2004 12:22 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
If i were BUYING a ready made speaker i'd agree with you completely. The amount of care the manufacturer has out in the cabinet is important. OTHO, the drivers in many commercial speakers are not more than a small fraction of the askng price.

However, if we are BUILDING a speaker, and one has a LIMITED budget, then i'd pay more for a driver and maybe compromise on the fancy finish (stain it yuourself, skip the burled walnut...simply settle for 3/4 baltic birch, don;t get the joints dovetailed); or i might get a better driver and pay less for a simpler BR cabinet versus a complicated horn....
it;s all allocation of budget. Anyways, i think we all agree...we are just talking of different things being right in differnt situations.

-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Linus or Bessel? And wassup with these crossover numbers?
Next Topic: Questions on Midrange Drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 13:59:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout