Home » Audio » Speaker » Earl - Which sub do you use?
Cheap passive radiators [message #18324 is a reply to message #18320] Sat, 10 December 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rapid is currently offline  Rapid
Chancellor
So to build a lever, one could use 3 passive radiators which are connected together with a U-shaped profile? If one was to use Peerless XLS, 3 passive radiators + 1 speaker=2.5 speakers in price so what's the point of using a lever then since 2 speakers will give 6dB more output (just like the lever but for a lower price)? I guess one has to find cheap passive radiators of good quality for the lever to get a good price/performance ratio?

Mattias

Not the way that I would do it. [message #18325 is a reply to message #18324] Sat, 10 December 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
I don't understand your 3 passive radiators - why would you want to do that?

We used a 10" driver, the same cone area in a stamped metal basket with a 2:1 area ratio. The cost of this later piece was only a fraction of the driver - why would it be more? The cost in a driver is in the motor structure, eliminate that and the cost should only be a fraction of the original speaker. Then we used two of these levers. Result; +6 dB more output at far less cost than two drivers with motors. A single lever would have reduced this cost further, but we liked the packaging options of two better.

I think that you calcs have some problems.

Seems like I've misunderstood things [message #18326 is a reply to message #18325] Sat, 10 December 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rapid is currently offline  Rapid
Chancellor

When I look at the image below from Speak, I see:
A speaker in a sealed box and a small passive radiator connected to a bigger passive radiator with a rod. Peerless has 10" and 12" passive radiators but there is no 8.5" (12"/(sqrt(2))=8.5") passive radiator availible from them so it's not possible to get a 2:1 area ratio. (that's why I said 3 passive radiators)

Some things are unclear for me:
1. Should the big passive radiator be of the same size as the speaker?
2. Did you build the passive radiators yourself?
3. How did you build the lever?
4. Which speakers/passive radiators/components did you use to build the subwoofer?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I hope somebody else also will benefit from reading this

Sure [message #18327 is a reply to message #18326] Sat, 10 December 2005 11:59 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
The drawing in SPEAK is for clarity. I would never build a lever like that. See link below. This construction would only cost as much as a speaker cone with surrounds and spider. Maybe $10 for a 15" one with 2:1 ratio. Most companies charge ridiculous sums for passive radiators.

>Some things are unclear for me:
>1. Should the big passive radiator be of the same size as the >speaker?

It should preferably be about 50% bigger.

>2. Did you build the passive radiators yourself?

I was with a big company and we had a suplier build them.

>3. How did you build the lever?

As below with a few mods - the spider did not have a hole in is as shown in the drawing. This gave a larger gluing surface. We sued a frame to hold the parts, although once mounted the frame beomes unimportant.

>4. Which speakers/passive radiators/components did you use to build >the subwoofer?

Again, I was with Ford and we had everything custom made. This project was published in SAE and can be obtained. It shows how the theory worked as expected, the +6 dB gains were achived and the lever with one driver outperformed two drivers in about the same enclosure volume, fewer drivers and watts required with the lever.

If only I could get some company to make the actual lever, I know that this would be a popular approach. Maybe someday I will pay for the tooling and do just that. But I have other interests right now.

If you, or anyone else, wants to have these levers made and sold, I would give you rights, they are patented, to do this since I own them for most configurations of advantage.

Previous Topic: Woofer choice and attenuation
Next Topic: Focal 5K013L array?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 22:08:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout