Home » Audio » Speaker » heard a new prototype
Re: heard a new prototype [message #17384 is a reply to message #17383] Sat, 15 January 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ro_Blower is currently offline  Ro_Blower
Chancellor
Hi all,
I want to thank you all for the interest in the Mini Planers however I feel as if I am flirting with self-promotion and do not wish to violate any rules of this forum. I am working on getting my own site up hopefuly soon and this is where I intend to promote the heck out of thies little guys.
Thanks
Darrel Hawthorne

Re: heard a new prototype [message #17385 is a reply to message #17384] Sat, 15 January 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds cool. You weren't being self-promotional 'cause I asked about 'em. But thanks for being considerate.

Looking at what you have, the Alpha 15 is like a full-range driver with the tweeter taking over for the very high frequencies. I'll bet it sounds real nice.

Re: heard a new prototype [message #17386 is a reply to message #17385] Sat, 15 January 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hey Wayne,
Yes on the Eminence being my "full ranger" of sorts.
I run him directly without any crossover.
My Idea was to find two drivers that naturaly (or with a bit of tweeking) roll off such that a crossover would only need to be of a minimalist 1st order design. I actualy got good results running the tweeter full range on my Decware/ Jensen Imperials in front of my Pevey Scorpions 15"ers . This got me liking and wanting to do more of this coaxial/ point source type configurations. I run a flea power
(7 watts) SET amp from Decware on the Imperials and they are so nice!
They are one of two sets of reference speakers that I always go back to .
Darrel

Thanks for posting - very cool speaker design [message #17387 is a reply to message #17386] Sat, 15 January 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Looks like you could orient it 90 degrees and use less floor space (assuming the legs were re-oriented with it of course)? I wonder how the response would differ.

May I ask what your T.A.O project is like?

Again, thanks for showing your design off.

Charlie

Re: heard a new prototype [message #17388 is a reply to message #17386] Sat, 15 January 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm with you. I've made several two-way designs that run the midwoofer pretty high too. I like having the vocals come entirely from one driver. Some of mine use the driver electro-mechanical rolloff exclusively, no crossover, first-order or pseudo-first-order networks. In other cases, I've used a combination of driver rolloff with a little help from an extra pole or two from an electrical network. But either way, they run the midwoofer up through the vocal range.

I used to have some designs with Alpha 15's, but stopped making them because the box was so large. But they're perfect for use on open baffles, as you have done. The central forward mounting of the tweeter is interesting too.

Re: Thanks for posting - very cool speaker design [message #17389 is a reply to message #17387] Sat, 15 January 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hey Charlie,
Thanks for the compliments.
Yes one could orient the baffle to favor height over width.
I stumbled onto some thing a while back with regards to speaker heights. Seems that part of what we would call our soundstage is to some degree at the effect to what our eyes see. I built the Decware /Imperials ,which are a very large speaker to have to look at while you are enjoying your music. I could never hope for them to dissapear acousticaly because they could never not be "onstage"
With the low, swept back aspect ratio of the Mini"s they just vanish before you ,leaving only the sounds to compete for your attention.
You sort of look above and beyond them, and this is where the performers seem to be.
The T.A.O. Project : Transending Audio Opposites.
Front and rear ,horn loaded, point source full rangers, that can be run bipole or dipole or monopole.(fostex fe167e)
Setting on a powered (250Watt) truncated horn loaded bandbass foward and rearward firing sub bass augmenter , that can be run bi,di or monopole as well and fully independently of the top cab.( peerless10" )
12"x24"x 48" .oak/ply, stained bombay walnut
5/4 polished granite tops
sand box anti res/damping box located between sub and mains boxes.
my own personal reference for what I currently call my best work. (lol)
I have reviews of them on the Decware forum.
And no they are not for sale!
Darrel

Re: heard a new prototype [message #17390 is a reply to message #17388] Sat, 15 January 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hey Wayne ,
I am sorry, I just realized who you are.
You sir, have forgot more about speaker design than I am likly to learn for a long time!.I have been to your site a few times in the past from recomendation of Decware forum members. You have a strong following there.
Thanks again for taking interest in my project.
Darrel

Re: Thanks for posting - very cool speaker design [message #17394 is a reply to message #17389] Sat, 15 January 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I need to jump in here. I heard these T.A.O speakers back in October. They just blew me away. I think at the time I was trying to figure out a way to sell my children into slavery to come up with enough money to pursuade Darrel to sell them to me.
Besides sounding great, they were very interesting to look at. They have a sort of Victorian/1950's combo look. Stained a beautiful dark cherry, they were impressive! The bass horns just blew me away! Awsome!

Dave

Re: Thanks for posting - very cool speaker design [message #17395 is a reply to message #17394] Sat, 15 January 2005 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hey Dave ,
Your too Kind
Thanks for everything
Darrel

Re: heard a new prototype [message #17398 is a reply to message #17390] Sat, 15 January 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm glad you're here, Darrel. I think you bring fresh and interesting ideas to the table.

Previous Topic: Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ?
Next Topic: Readers in the EU
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 17:51:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout