Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Favorite guitarists
Captain Speedfingers and Slowhand [message #6675 is a reply to message #6674] Thu, 06 April 2006 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Alvin Lee and Eric's nicknames from the woodstock days. I have a 10 yrs after album, and he could shred, but I wasn't really impressed with the music.

Van Epp was introduced to me by my father in law. He was a audiophile in the 50's before he had kids. Got some really great karlson horns in his basement that he built. Van Epp was a solo act, and did things that sound like he had 12 fingers. I only have the one album, but it's a frequent visitor. I really don't have much info on him.

Re: Probably Not What You Had In Mind . . . [message #6676 is a reply to message #6670] Thu, 06 April 2006 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Kotke is insanity on a twelve string. He's the only guy I know that fingerpicks the harmonic strings individually. He almost made my list, but I don't listen to him that much. But I admire the skill.

Van Epp [message #6677 is a reply to message #6675] Thu, 06 April 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Never heard his music, but your description reminds me of Michael Hedges. That guy could sound like 3-4 guitars at the same time.

They used to bill Stevie Ray as"Stevie Hurricane"

Definitely not what you had in mind [Re: Probably Not What You Had In Mind . . .] [message #6678 is a reply to message #6676] Thu, 06 April 2006 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Martin Taylor

George Van Epps

Re: Captain Speedfingers and Slowhand [message #6679 is a reply to message #6675] Thu, 06 April 2006 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I put Van Epps on here before I saw the bottom part of the
thread. I don't own any Van Epps, but they used to play him
on a jazz show here. He was also referred to as one of the
classics on a program featuring Bucky Pizzarelli on the
Riverwalk program. They were demonstrating different styles
and Van Epps was "quoted" on it.

Re: Van Epp [message #6680 is a reply to message #6677] Thu, 06 April 2006 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Did a little looking, this quote pretty much defines what I listen to.

Why seven strings? "I wanted things to happen, voices to move, not just 'Oh, that's a chord, 'dunh-dunh.' I wanted something to go 'de da da duh' inside the chord or for the bass to move a little bit," Van Eps once told the Los Angeles Times. "I don't care about playing nine million notes a second. I'm more interested in having every voice in a chord be a melody that both stands by itself and works with the others."

Re: Van Epp [message #6681 is a reply to message #6680] Thu, 06 April 2006 17:27 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I read a quote today by Gerry Mulligan the trombone player. He said in answer to a question about todays jazz players;
"They know all the notes and scales and they can articulate well; play fantastic runs and fills but; too often they just don't seem to know when it's time to leave the bone alone."

Previous Topic: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD
Next Topic: White bucks vs. blue suede shoes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 00:39:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout