Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Home Theater w/ PI questions
Home Theater w/ PI questions [message #44326] Tue, 06 April 2004 16:55 Go to next message
Michael Brown is currently offline  Michael Brown
Esquire
Sorry in advance for the long note and all the questions.

I'm building a Home Theater / Game / Bar combo room. Based on the rave reviews for PI and a hankering to build something, I plan on going DIY.

The room will be ~ 25x33 with a 8 to 15' vaulted ceiling (the vault's center line is along the long axis & LCR / Screen at the narrow end so the LCRs may have ceiling reflection issues). Room will have a lot of wood including ceiling, floors & beams. Pretty, but lots of volume needs (10000 cubic feet of air) and opportinities for ugly reflections.

Equipment I already have, which I'd like to use to get me started for this application: Sub - VMPS Larger Megawoofer (specs here http://www.vmpsaudio.com/sub1.htm ) & NHT SA-3 mono amp, Surround AMP - Rotel 1095 250w x 5 to drive 5 of the speakers.

1) What do you suggest I use for the PI L/R Center and Surrounds for this application?

2) I was looking at the Theater fours & sevens, would that be enough to get decent theater level decibels at prime seating (~15 feet back from the Center) using the Rotel?

3) Do you have any Surround, Dipole, Center channel kits in the works?

4) Should I use the four pi all around accept for the LRs in a 6.1 - 7.2 setup? I've got 3-4 months before construction is complete, so plenty of time to sell / buy / build components.

5) Do I have enough sub, should i get another one, should I sell this one and build yours, if I build yours would I need two.

6) Is the Rotel above a decent amp for this application and what would you suggest for the LRs another Rotel?

Re: Home Theater w/ PI questions [message #44328 is a reply to message #44326] Wed, 07 April 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Theater four π speakers are our most popular large-format loudspeaker. They'll definitely do the trick, particularly with a subwoofer, but I like them without subs too. I personally prefer the seven π cornerhorn, both in appearance and in sound quality, but the four π's are more versatile.

There are environments where the four π's work better, but if you have two suitable corners, the seven π's almost always win out. The corners help enforce the bass and sound is uniform throughout the room at all frequencies. But I think both the Theater four π and seven π speakers are great sounding.

You might also consider Theater seven π cornerhorns with an additional midrange horn such as the one I've just developed. I'll be showing it any day now; It's tested and ready to go and now I'm just waiting on a pair of more attractive models to get back from the wood shop so I can click some photos.

Re: Home Theater w/ PI questions [message #44329 is a reply to message #44328] Wed, 07 April 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I've got two good corners for the front left / right ;-) Would need the center channel to be sonically similar to them though. If adding a midrange horn just at the sides, wouldn't that muck with the effects? If so how bout one four π with that mid range upgrade?

Or I could play with the idea of using a seven π at the center as well with some custom framing for a rack. 2x4s are easy at this stage. If I cut a triangle into a custom frame made to mate with the seven π how deep would it be by your recommendation. Seems like 3 options here 1) deep enough to square off it's 90% triangle guessing 1' (probably look the best this way), 2) deep enough to reflect the baffle guessing 2', 3) deep enough to flush with the front panel guessing 3'? I would probably frame over the cut w proj. screen mounted above and have built in racks to the left & right.

Re: Home Theater w/ PI questions [message #44330 is a reply to message #44329] Wed, 07 April 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with you about keeping the dialog channel similar to the left and right fronts. A Theater Series four π will do nicely, but it is large. And if you add the midrange horn, do it to each speaker.

Re:Facts, aside:).......... [message #44331 is a reply to message #44326] Wed, 07 April 2004 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ive used the Theatre 4 for HT with both the Delta and the JBL 2226.And I've heard the 7Pi.
It's all about trade-offs and compromises.
You really need a SUB-woofer whichever system you use to get those 15 and 20 Hz spaceships and explosions.
That aside, the greater detail and tonal quality of the JBL 2226 screams do the 4 Pro or the Pro 7. Even tho' the Delta goes lower, it doesn't go to 15 Hz.
Then there's budget. The JBL's are dear, but you will never regret using 2Pi's for surrounds, eliminating the center (which you don't need anyway) and spending the money upfront.
Got the bucks?, 4 Theatre Pros or Pro 7's with a waaaay low sub.

Re: Theater 4pi Plans Pls. [message #44332 is a reply to message #44330] Wed, 07 April 2004 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
k thx. I've read through a lot of the messages now. I did not realize what a good corner meant, learn something new every day. I've go a vaulted roof sloping from sides to center, windows near the back wall corners, dormers & closets, etc. :( Will probably need to move the speakers around and place diffusion and / or absorbtion material in the problem spots.

So my choice is to go with Theater 4pis.

I'm assuming the plans will not change, only the kit(s) regarding the mid horn choice? If this assumption is correct please send me the plans for the Theater 4pi. I'd like to start cutting this weekend ;-)

Cheers, Mike

You've got mail! [message #44333 is a reply to message #44332] Wed, 07 April 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re:Facts, aside:).......... [message #44334 is a reply to message #44331] Wed, 07 April 2004 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
>> Ive used the Theatre 4 for HT with both the Delta and the JBL 2226.
Did you just swap that JBL right in?

>> You really need a SUB-woofer whichever system you use to get those 15 and 20 Hz spaceships and explosions.

I was thinking the same thing, though would like a great 2 channel on the rare occasions when listening to music vs video. I guess bass management should take care of sending that to the sub as well.

>> That aside, the greater detail and tonal quality of the JBL 2226 screams do the 4 Pro or the Pro 7. Even tho' the Delta goes lower, it doesn't go to 15 Hz.

Did you just swap the base or the horn too?

>> Then there's budget. The JBL's are dear, but you will never regret using 2Pi's for surrounds, eliminating the center (which you don't need anyway) and spending the money upfront.

Good point, no sense in over killing the surround tracks. Save me some real bucks!

>> Got the bucks?

This ranch w/ Sports Bar is a second home for me. So I'm expecting to be house poor for a while.

I keep refining my plans / thoughts but I'm leaning towards 3 Theater 4pis across the front and somewhere between 3-6 Studio 2pis for the surrounds. Then as the $ free up I'm assuming I could refit those boxes with tweeks like mid horns and / or jbl thumpers & better high horns. It looks like all of the pi speaker boxes have a easy JBL woofer / Eminence upgrade path. < that was more of a question than a statement!

Cabinet configurations [message #44335 is a reply to message #44334] Wed, 07 April 2004 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The woofer in the Stage or Premium Stage four π speaker can be swapped with a JBL 2226H, but the Theater Series four π cabinet is much larger.

Putting a JBL 2226 or an Eminence Kilomax 15 or Omega 15 in a Theater Series four π cabinet results in an EBS alignment having a -10dB shelf. It produces an interesting response curve with high 90Hz f3 but low 20Hz f10. Basically everything below 100Hz is shelved down -10dB, but then you get output all the way down to 20Hz.

It's an interesting response curve and potentially useful. But when used as the midwoofer in a two-way speaker, I prefer the JBL 2226, Kilomax 15 and Omega 15 speakers to have a different alignment.

There's another hybrid option that works well though. Move the Helmholtz frequency up to 35Hz or 40Hz. This moves cutoff up from 20Hz to 35Hz, but it also brings the bass shelf way up to the -3dB line. If you take a Theater four π cabinet and cut the port out, enlarge the hole to 5" diameter and remove the duct, you've formed this kind of system. Response is down -3dB at 100Hz, but it remains flat from there down to 35Hz. To me, this is an attractive modification of Theater four π cabinets when used with JBL 2226, Kilomax 15 or Omega 15 woofers.

Re: Should have made clear [message #44336 is a reply to message #44335] Wed, 07 April 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
that, as Wayne points out thje Delta lives in the big Theatre box and the 2226 in the much smaller Pro box.

Previous Topic: JBL high freq for audiophile Pi 3-way
Next Topic: Subwoofer project Zmax
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 07:20:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout