Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral
Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28019] Tue, 11 January 2005 07:37 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've noticed on several forums lately that a new popular opinion is forming. The "W" fold was probably the most popular basshorn shape since the early days of the Klipschorn in the 1940's. But lately, I see more and more references to them being worse than direct radiators.

I've always folded using an equiangular spiral but mostly because it allowed smaller turn angles. If crossed over low, it seems to me that the angles wouldn't matter much. As long as the horn was used at frequencies below 1/4 wavelength of each section, and as long as the horn is braced well, can you see any reason why a spiral fold basshorn would outperform a "W" fold? If the path length is the same and the area expansion is the same, it sems to me that performance would be the same at low frequencies. I would think the main deal is packaging and layout if all other things are equal. Could the preference be a new misconception?

Thoughts anyone?

Re: Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28020 is a reply to message #28019] Tue, 11 January 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>>I've noticed on several forums lately that a new popular opinion is forming. The "W" fold was probably the most popular basshorn shape since the early days of the Klipschorn in the 1940's. But lately, I see more and more references to them being worse than direct radiators.

That's bull, a folded horn will always out perform a direct radiator as far as lower distortion and more SPL's go. They just won't go as low in freq as a direct radiator can with out becoming massive. And there's tests out there that will prove it.

>>can you see any reason why a spiral fold basshorn would outperform a "W" fold?

Possibly depends on what the x-over freq is. A "W" fold it seems to me can throw out more mb gack if you want to call it that, than what a spiral horn would because of the harmonics and the way the horn path is laid out. A spiral horn has more turns to go through so some of that gack gets attenuated going around more corners.

>>If the path length is the same and the area expansion is the same, it sems to me that performance would be the same at low frequencies.

It should be.

>>I would think the main deal is packaging and layout if all other things are equal.

That's true.

>>Could the preference be a new misconception?

Sounds like somebody's trying to yank-yer-chain.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Bill W.

Re: Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28021 is a reply to message #28020] Tue, 11 January 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Bill,

Have you seen the posts I'm referring to? They're all over prosoundweb and other places. I mean, the spiral fold is fine and I like it. It lends itself well to long path length for a box 'cause you're going around four+ sides instead of back and forth three lengths. The curves have smaller angles. But I don't see any reason why people might consider a "W" fold old fashioned and think of a spiral as somehow cutting edge. Seems more like pulley verses gear than pushrod verses OHV.

Wayne

Re: Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28022 is a reply to message #28019] Tue, 11 January 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Wayne,
OF course I am no horn expert, but maybe it's because spiral horns are more expensive to build? DIY can't maybe do it as easily as a W/
Just a conjecture (i'm even less of an expert on wood working than horns).
-akhilesh

Re: Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28023 is a reply to message #28022] Tue, 11 January 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, I dunno. I don't really think either is any harder to build but maybe. Personally, I have no preference either way. I liked the spirals because they had smaller angles in each fold, but that probably doesn't matter at very low frequencies. The path length is an issue though, maybe that's a slight advantage for spirals in rectangular boxes. The "W" fold cabinet has to be deeper to get the same path length. I guess the same could be said of the "Z" fold too.

Re: Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28024 is a reply to message #28023] Wed, 12 January 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi wayne
I found that the Z fold was the easiest,I didnt ever attempt a W horn,because my ones tend to have long paths and small mouths.

I like the Z fold aswell due to the fact that only one panel requires 2 critical mitres on it,and all the mitres(4) are easy ones. Also driver access is good,but the rear chamber size tends to be good for the prosound woofers being large.

Perhaps the W/C still rules for short paths?

Re: Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral [message #28025 is a reply to message #28024] Wed, 12 January 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Mike,

Yeah, the "J" or "C" fold are still popular, especially with the single driver crowd. It's an obvious layout for their back-loaded horns, just like prosound "scoop" cabinets. I'm just thinking outloud here, because I've been seeing a lot of negative references about "W" horns lately.

I've been working on the cooling system for a large basshorn, and the runs for the cooling lines would be cleaner if the horn were made with a "W" fold. It has hoses that go to a little radiator, and those could be easily mounted on the back of the horn if made a "W" shape. But the horn would have to be real long if folded as a "W", so I'll probably make it a spiral. Or maybe the "Z" fold like you do would be good too.

I'll focus more on the horn layout once I have the cooling system done. Right now, I'm testing to know how much volume will need to be in the cooling lines. They form a part of the rear chamber, so this is kind of important. We're still testing to see just how importtant. But once that is done, I'll want to make a horn that is a convenient size and easy to build and service with those cooling lines included.

I think the alignment of a basshorn - things like its throat, mouth, expansion and front and rear chambers - are more important than its configuration. The layout is more a function of real estate than of performance. But I thought I'd throw this out there to see if there were any other opinions.

Wayne

please reference the tests [message #28026 is a reply to message #28020] Thu, 13 January 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
"That's bull, a folded horn will always out perform a direct radiator as far as lower distortion and more SPL's go. They just won't go as low in freq as a direct radiator can with out becoming massive. And there's tests out there that will prove it."

I have never seen a real advantage to LF horns - and the disadvantages of internal resonances from the folds, etc. is obvious. Please give a rference to the "tests" that prove your position.

Of course your statement is rather general and ill defined. Do you mean "outperform" in general or that a specific driver in a horn will outperform the same driver direct radiating. Because to the first point, I don't agree at all. I can always find a bigger driver in the same size enclosure as the horn that will produce as much SPL and low distortion as another driver with a horn. To the second point, an Acoustic Lever will always outperform a horn in this regard - higher SPL, lower distortion for a given driver in a given enclosure volume - so give me the lever, not the horn.

Re: please reference the tests [message #28027 is a reply to message #28026] Thu, 13 January 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Below is a link where Servodrive did a test and put the results on there web page, I can also dig up sheets where they did the tests on there old TPL series of subs where they compared the standard reflex vs a regular "W" folded horn I forget if was loaded with 4-15's or 4-18's vs there servodrive, and both horn loaded enclosures were still lower in distortion than what the reflex was.

Also could you send a link to your web site I'd like to read about this Acoustic Lever your talking about. I've heard you mention something about it on another board.

Re: please reference the tests [message #28028 is a reply to message #28027] Thu, 13 January 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I see both sides here, actually. I'm a big proponent of horns and I know Earl is too. But for hifi useage, basshorns are limited by size.

Of course, they gain some from corner loading and room gain but still, there are issues both pro and con, mostly related to the fact that a portable basshorn is limited in size to something well under wavelength proportions. If built-in to the structure, other possibilities open up but that's a rare installation indeed. In most cass, basshorns are much smaller than wavelength scale.

This is the prosound forum, and I was really talking about prosound applications when I posted this. The goal is SPL and quality is important, but flat response isn't really on the menu. I still prefer to have distortion and compression very low and as flat response as possible, even if multiples are required. The goals are similar, but emphasis is on output. Anyway, I was really looking for strenghths and weaknesses of various folding paterns, if a basshorn is a given. I'd also like to make the assumption that horns have the same properties of length, area, expansion rate, electromechanical parameters and front and rear chambers, so that the comparison remains solely that of folding patterns themselves.

But I like the discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of basshorns in general too. I realize the limitations of them at the deepest frequencies, and don't consider them to be without fault. So I've opened a thread called "Basshorns - Pro and Con" in the High Efficiency forum. We can discuss the more general basshorn matters there.

Previous Topic: Over Dwell the reverb surf pan
Next Topic: Presence control for my guitar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 18:19:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout