Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » What's the longest solid-state amp that you've owned?
Re: What's the longest solid-state amp that you've owned? [message #99843 is a reply to message #99827] Sun, 04 October 2026 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hank is currently offline  Hank
Messages: 69
Registered: December 2025
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Sat, 26 September 2026 21:37
Hi The amplifier sounds excellent.  They used really good components and built them to last.  The only thing I have needed to do was replace the power switch as the original got crunched.  Back then roughly 35 years ago they were easy to locate.  I think it was about $2.  Now things might be a bit more difficult.  I find that I have to exercise the switches about every 6-12 months as most never change in the settings.  I really like the amp and it mates well with the pair of Martin Logan motion 4's next to the monitor and a ML powered sub on the floor nearby.  When poking through the web on values of vintage gear this one kept showing up in the $1000 range.  It seems that is was among some of the last actually designed by Saul Marantz and built to spec in either Sunnyvale Ca or Japan.  The 1976 receiver (2250) is not built to the same standard as it was among the first built under the Superscope take over.  (my dates may be subject to question as that was a long time ago)  It sounds excellent also.  The third Marantz is a 2265B receiver.  Just slightly newer than the 2250.  Build is about the same.  This one is a world wide model and can run on pretty much any voltage.  Nice sound again, but the build is not all that great.  I have had trouble with that one.  It fried the speaker muting relay, had panel bulb issues and seemed more sensitive to needing the controls exercised.  Generally a nice unit, but not as well made.  Web values indicate the same thing you can get one supposedly refurbed for about $850.  BTW all the tube models are now out of reach by pure mortals.  Mega dollars.  Another thought.  With premium gear it is usually not necessary to re-cap them unless there is an indication of malfunction.  They were designed to last and even the  not so pretty builds of the 2250 and 2265 the components are top notch. You are more likely to screw something up than enhance the sound. Rolling Eyes
Thanks, mate for the tips. 57 years is pretty amazing. I like my Boss Katana 100, and it’s been very reliable for me, but 57 years is something else.

I also liked what you said about not recapping an old amp just because it’s old. If it’s working and sounding good, I guess there’s no good reason to mess with it.

I’ll remember the thing about working the switches now and then, too. That’s something I probably wouldn’t have thought about.

That Marantz 1060 sounds like a real keeper. Do you still prefer the sound of it over most newer amps you’ve tried?
 
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Thinking about the Vitus SS-103, is it worth the price?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Oct 08 19:42:13 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest