Home » Audio » Source » How has your music journey been from the first Walkman to now?
Re: How has your music journey been from the first Walkman to now? [message #99798 is a reply to message #99694] Wed, 16 September 2026 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Cole is currently offline  Cole
Messages: 32
Registered: December 2025
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 14 August 2026 12:01

I never had a Walkman, or any other portable music player, for that matter.  But I have always had good car stereos, even back when what the factory provided really sucks.  I installed really good AM/FM cassette decks in my cars, starting with Concorde brand units. Those were incredible - response as good as the best three-head hifi or studio-recording cassette decks of the day.  Car-audio was my only form of portable stereo.  Still is.

So for me, not much has changed.  I listen to a lot of vinyl.  I record it on cassettes for my classic cars that still have decks.  Put MP3 versions of music on flash drive "pucks" for my more modern cars.

One thing that changed for me is back in the 1980s, I used to record some albums on reel-to-reel.  That way I didn't have to wear out albums for background listening.  My turntable and cartridge were very good, but still, I played my favorite music on reel-to-reel back then for background listening.

Now I do that same thing with DVDs.  I always buy music on vinyl and DVD, and I use the DVD media for background music and the vinyl media when I want to really enjoy.
I truly enjoyed using my Walkman back in the 80s. It was my favourite portable music player even though the battery didn't always last as I would want. I cherish your approach with car steroes. I must admit that those concorde decks that you had sounded like they were the real gems, and I can picture the experience being so great when you recorded vinyl onto cassettes.

Do you, by chance, still have any of those old concorde units active?

Also, can you remember that one album that you always record each time you acquire a new vinyl?
 
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Simple IC based Phono Preamp
Next Topic: Best vinyl record with speakers you ever used?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 29 10:15:20 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest