Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Your Heavy Rotation Right Now
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #98028 is a reply to message #98027] Wed, 25 September 2024 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm totally with you on that. I loved the 60s and the early 70s, same as you. Heavy influences on me were Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant and the Moody Blues.

Nothing matches those. I find no equal in modern music to the feeling I get when I listen to an album like "In Search of the Lost Chord" or "On the Threshold of a Dream" by the Moody Blues. There just isn't anything like it in the decades after that.

It isn't that I don't enjoy listening to music made in the 1980s and afterward, it's just that there isn't anything like those 1960s "art rock" bands. They had a special feel, possibly uniquely generated under the influences of the new technologies and social situations of the times.

The 1980s rock bands all made "fun times" music. It was fun stuff sometimes, but it didn't have the depth. I mean, some musicians still had the depth, but if they did, they weren't popular.

I did think the 1990s had a resurgence of 1970s-like material. There were a lot of bands I liked from the 1990s. Collective Soul, The Wallflowers, The Verve and Matchbox 20 are some examples. Those bands remind me of the sound of the 1970s, sort of. And there were some harder acts that I liked in the 1990s too, like Tool and Nine Inch Nails. They weren't a throwback to any other era though.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message