Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » PS Transformers
Re: PS Transformers [message #9750 is a reply to message #9749] Wed, 02 August 2006 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
When I composed that message, I meant to change the title to "On hand is good". I forgot. Without it, it changes the tone of the post. It was meant as a "use what you got" rather than "Just get on with it"

Over at AA there was a long discussion on the merits of low DSR chokes, that moved on to power transformers. At first I thought the thread had promise. Well silly me.
Also it has been very hot here and with little or no AC. Perhaps I am a bit cranky.(No miserable little smile face)

So. After your very considered reply, I reread the thread. To go back to your original question, low verses high DSR. I can not think of a reason that you would want a high DSR secondary in a SE amp.

Does this mean that that the transformer with the lowest possible DSR is always the best? Good question. I have not looked at it in those terms,

Two points. First, remember, a transformer can be drawn ‘as a black box that is full of compromises’ (I rather like that one;)
Second, if you go and order ten different EI transformers with the same spec. you will end up with a collection that weighs in at say, 5lb to maybe 12lb or more and cost < $50 to maybe several hundred. Can the "goodness" be measured in DSR alone? Probably not but it may well be an indicator. Make a good green belt project for someone. .

There is much more to say on this. Such as OK John get to the point and how do you choose a power transformer.(Hint I look in my junk box first).But it still much too hot and I am starting to fade away. More later…John

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Filament Ratings
Next Topic: Fiament choke and filter scheme???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 22:18:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio