Home » Audio » Source » Longest you've used a cartridge
Re: Longest you've used a cartridge [message #97351 is a reply to message #97349] Wed, 17 January 2024 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've never tried a Goldring cart. Many people praise them. Something to consider. I have the Ortofon super OM-30 that I like very much. My Grado red though has been a disappointment. Doesn't track well. I've come to learn that all Grado in the Prestige line, black through gold have the same bonded stylus on them. That seems to be a contradiction to their progressively higher stylus replacement cost based on the color designation it represents. And their advertising that classifies a better performance level to that color level. I think that bonded tip skews their performance.

Audio Technica is true value in their progressive price level in their cartridge line. Their VM line goes from conical, bonded elliptical, nude fineline to nude shibata styli at just under 200 dollars. I have a few AT's and find them nice well made performers. And the claim they're tipped too dominant in the higher frequencies doesn't come across for me. I have one lone LOMC. An AT OC9II. I got at a great price when it was discontinued. I made a SUT with CineMag transformers to go on to the MM phono preamp.

I haven't contemplated replacing the arm on my Technics 1200 table. It's a decent arm that can handle a wide range of carts. I did add a fluid damper to it that I think makes a good arm even better.
Still, my oldies carts give me the greatest kick. When the art and innovation were at its peak.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How Does This Happen?
Next Topic: Tube DAC - SW1X, Abbas, LAB12, Sonic Frontiers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 08 10:36:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio