Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subs for floorstander and corner horns
Re: Subs for floorstander and corner horns [message #96428 is a reply to message #96427] Thu, 23 February 2023 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are two different answers to what are really two different questions here.

One is whether subs are needed for six Pi and seven Pi constant-directivity cornerhorns. The other is whether subs are needed for two Pi towers.

They're two different kinds of speakers, and they are intended to provide solutions for different requirements.

The six Pi and seven Pi cornerhorns don't need flanking subs but they do need distributed multisubs for best sound. They need the extra bass extension and they benefit from modal smoothing.

The two Pi tower doesn't really need the additional extension of a subwoofer. Subs could be used to smooth room modes, and I suppose they might offer extra extension, but the towers sound good without them. Two Pi towers aren't really intended for an installation like that.

The one Pi, two Pi and two Pi tower loudspeakers sound great, and I love them. But they're really budget models. They sound better than they have a right to sound at their price point.

Most times, the one Pi and two Pi speakers are used as surrounds. As such, they generally are used with larger mains and subs. And they are really providing ambience, not imaging. They don't need to provide controlled directivity in that role.

When used as mains, they are usually either in small rooms or secondary listening environments. I have a pair of two Pi towers in my bedroom, and I listen there and watch movies there a lot. But it isn't my main loudspeaker system. Sounds great, but it doesn't benefit from controlled directivity or modal smoothing.

The two Pi tower fills a niche where someone has a need for a good-sounding set of main speakers on a budget. It is also great where space is limited. In either or both of those cases, the two Pi tower produces high-fidelity sound with ample bass. It's a more traditional "cone/dome" speaker that does a great job for what it is.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pi Three and Pi Four Speaker Plans?
Next Topic: Pi3 vs Pi4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 16:34:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout