Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi front soundstage build
Re: 3Pi front soundstage build [message #96345 is a reply to message #95184] Wed, 08 February 2023 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JakeAlmighty
Esquire

hey all,

Finally back to finishing these things - got delayed in the spring as the basement flooded (including the theater) and then had a long drawn out fight with insurance over how much money they had to send us. All good now! Going to put the new floors/bottom 2ft of drywall etc in in a few months once the 2023 spring melt is done. (see if it floods again or not)

Speaker cabinets are finished sanding, painted black etc. re: the comments above I did recess the woofer but not the waveguide, this makes them line up nicely visually. (aka they stick out of the front baffle roughly the same amount) Luckily it sounds like the impact on the vertical alignment is minimal so should be ok.

couple questions that probably don't even matter but figured I'd ask before assembling the internals -

- I have screws on hand that should work for mounting the woofer - they're just very short to not penetrate through the reduced thickness of the recessed area of the baffle - #10 panhead 1/2" long. It seems somewhat ridiculous mounting a heavy driver with such tiny screws, will this be sufficient? Or should I instead reinforce the baffle on the interior with another layer of MDF and can then use longer screws.

- Where is the circuit board (and resistor, off board I suppose) typically mounted? Does it matter if they are on the exposed interior side of the cabinet vs under the insulation on the other side or bottom?

- the insulation I have on hand is R14 rockwool - it's fairly thick. 2" if I recall? Is this fine or should I go buy a thinner R11 or R13 as per the recommendation? (or cut down the rockwool somewhat)

- "official" speaker gasket tape/foam is surprisingly elusive in Canada - I have tons of random weather sealing, sill gasket, etc options on hand that might work though, does it matter if the foam is open cell vs closed cell?

thanks guys!

Looking forward to hearing these things in action *very* soon. Finished pics to come.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: JBL 2226 repair
Next Topic: long wall setup