Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Stripping dye off keyboard
Re: Stripping dye off keyboard [message #96314 is a reply to message #96313] Sun, 29 January 2023 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem, of course, is to use a solvent that will dissolve the dye without attacking plastic parts or anything that might have been silkscreened or painted on your keyboard.

I generally like to use flux removers and/or alcohols for circuit boards. I use (automotive) brake cleaner on really tough stains, but it will destroy most plastics so that's not an option for you. And really, flux remover will damage some plastic and some silkscreens, as well as PCB markings done in ink, like an ECO level, serial-number or revision number hand-written on a board. Isopropyl alcohol is usually pretty safe, but even that can damage some materials. Still, I'd start there 'cause it's the most "friendly" of the three solvents mentioned in this paragraph.

Using 91% isopropyl alcohol, rub a little on a part of the keyboard that's safe, like behind the faceplate and/or on the edge of the circuit board. Make sure it doesn't damage the part you're trying to clean. If it's safe, start using the alcohol to clean the areas where dye remains.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: A Musical Heart
Next Topic: Refurbishing An Old Radio / Turntable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 25 02:32:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects