Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi - any "doping" suggestions to make the JBL look nicer?
Re: 4 Pi - any "doping" suggestions to make the JBL look nicer? [message #95679 is a reply to message #95677] Mon, 13 June 2022 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, Barry's right, I'm concerned about treatments on the cone. These 15-inchers used as midrange need very specific cone damping and the shape of the cone, ribs and the material used all play a big part in its behavior above 600Hz or so.

What I've seen in genuine JBL cones is they are uniformly gray with a slightly darker voice coil dust cap. They keep that shade of gray indefinitely when used indoors. But when they are exposed to sunlight, they tend to lighten and sometimes not uniformly. Not sure what causes the non-uniformity - whether it be from intermittent partial shading, from changing humidity or just that the pigment shading doesn't fade uniformly. I don't know what does it, but I've seen it happen - pretty regularly - on speakers used for prosound applications where they travel.

Sadly, the only thing I can really recommend is a recone. It costs a couple hundred bucks to recone a 2226H with genuine JBL cones. That's a lot to pay for aesthetics, but it does have the additional benefit of ensuring the speakers are 100% good as new. But really, your speakers appear to be uniformly gray so I'm not sure that's even going to satisfy. I think you just would prefer a darker cone. And that's not how JBL speakers look - they're gray.

So I think probably the grille solution Barry suggested might make the most sense. Certainly the pocketbook likes it better.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: port and insulation
Next Topic: Small Room Suggestions