Home » Audio » Source » Wide Spread RIAA Phono Stage Inaccuracies by Manufacturers (Inaccurate RIAA designs and correct calculator.)
Re: Wide Spread RIAA Phono Stage Inaccuracies by Manufacturers [message #95117 is a reply to message #95115] Mon, 24 January 2022 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Sun, 23 January 2022 20:21
Hi, I have found the various sets of formulas to be more or less close. They don't tell the whole story as the compliance with RIAA requires the output of the preamp to be right, not necessarily any individual stage. I use a 1% accurate inverse network with a very accurate signal generator. Then measure the output as a Bode plot on a calibrated scope with a suitable load. Doing it this way compensates for changes the actual circuit (not the EQ) usually causes. A qualifier is that with tube gear (all mine is) the brand, lot number and individual tubes will vary. It is unpredictable. When I hand select the tubes (same lot etc) it is possible to get matching within 0.5db when first installed. After 6 months or so the matching is not likely to be quite that good. I only use passive eq and no NFB in designs, if you use NFB you can get a slightly better long term result. IMO is that NFB is a double edged sword. Yes the numbers can be better, but I always hear some subtle changes in the presentation. Possibly it is just me, but I avoid NFB when ever I can.

Anyhow the site for calculations is a good one and I have used some calculations they had for speaker crossovers and box volumes.

If I understand you correctly, the actual accuracy of the rest of the system also needs to be investigated. With that in mind, I don't seen any reason not to start with the RIAA network as it costs very little.

I have tried different tubes and the specs seem to stay close. I try to use the best tube manufacturer possible. Sourcing from a cathode follower would definitely keep deviation in milli db range.

The input following the passive network needs capacitance (including Miller capacitance) to be included in the network, and resistance to be high for accurate bass reproduction. Some include a pole at very low frequencies, but personally I don't include such a pole.

Hope this helps the diyers as it costs virtually nothing to get the RIAA correct.

I agree, I also do not use negative feedback type.

Stanley also addresses other poles, especially high frequency pole around 50khz. A recording RIAA emphasis network and associated circuitry cannot indefinitely increase gain as the frequency rises, so a high frequency pole exists. I have found that if I create a super high frequency pole as well, I notice a sonic difference. I am not sure it is worth it. Very interesting to investigate though.

cheers
pos

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Digital music hoarding
Next Topic: What happened with wire recorders?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 17:12:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio