Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Electronics For Dummies
Re: Electronics For Dummies [message #93492 is a reply to message #93472] Sun, 11 April 2021 12:29 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, this is a difficult problem.. Like which came first the chicken or the egg? To be successful in diy electronics you really need both knowledge and experience. There are a number of rather basic tutorials on the web that are not too technical. You ought to search them out. Often at college sites. With some basic knowledge as to what various components do you can start to fiddle with some simple circuits. I would not start with any project that was powered directly from the AC mains (wall wart is OK) or that used much over about 30 volts internally. If your project doesn't work it probably won't start a fire or hurt anyone. All this is good....but I figure it takes time and patience to get to even a reasonable level of ability in diy electronics. I have been designing and building stuff for about 60 years now and constantly see or hear of someone that wants to build a complicated project for a first try. Having such a thing work on the first power up is so unlikely that it gets close to zero. If it is AC powered the most likely thing is a blown fuse (if they used one). No fuse, then sparks and smoke. I try to assist folks with their projects, but I have the impression that some don't know which end of a soldering iron gets hot let alone how to effectively use one. After monitoring and participating in several forums I have come to a conclusion that it appears to take between 2 and 3 years for someone to get fairly good at diy electronics (expert level probably about 10). It is not for folks that like immediate gratification. Sorry.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How To Build Eddie's Frankenstat
Next Topic: Current and upcoming projects?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 03:03:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio