Home » Audio » Source » Will streaming kill the vinyl resurgence
Re: Will streaming kill the vinyl resurgence [message #91955 is a reply to message #91948] Mon, 25 May 2020 21:12 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree that they tend to appeal to different listeners. Not that there isn't a goodly group that like both. I fit into that category. My system is primarily analog with tube electronics. Two turntables on line all the time, reel to reel tape recorder and a cassette recorder. Also a Sony HD FM receiver, a FIIO player, an OPPO-SE blue ray, a SMSL DAC, a pair of SIIG ADC-DACs, and a Toshiba laptop etc. So I can stream and play pretty much any kind of media. I won't go into the rabbit hole on which sounds better...they all can sound fine and all sound different. Vinyl playback is a mature format and likely pretty much maxed out for how good it can perform. IMO really nice. All the digital formats including streaming still have room to grow. Some are really quite excellent, some not. The current up swing in vinyl is likely to continue but will never be the media of choice for most folks. Portability and ease of use are against it and favor digital media. There is some satisfaction to be gained by playing vinyl that is missing in most digital formats. It is the sort of satisfaction of both having a physical media and being able to extract a high degree of performance from it. That appeals to many vinyl lovers. Not just a turn it on and let it rip type of experience. Plus I have personal concerns about the ownership and long term viability of music that I don't physically possess. If the web goes down, so does streaming music. If the cloud goes poof or the company letting you use their part of it goes belly up...what happens to your music stored there. True you can download much of it ...but then you are back in the area of keeping physical media (more compactly I will grant though). So I expect vinyl to be around for as long as I care....I'll let the next generation worry about after that. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message