Home » Audio » Radio » Refurbishing '60's or 70's Era Stereos
Re: Refurbishing '60's or 70's Era Stereos [message #91788 is a reply to message #91776] Wed, 29 April 2020 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is some vintage equipment that is restored and/or moded because of its high sound quality. But most times, you know it if you got it. Equipment like that was considered high-end when it was new.

And there are other vintage items that are restored just because they're antiques. Not so much for sound quality as for aesthetics. Old tube radios come to mind.

But to be honest, most sound gear from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s wasn't all that great. For that matter, most stuff made since then isn't all that great either. Audiophiles often refer to the average quality gear as being "midfi" or "home theater in a box."

I wouldn't probably spend time restoring midfi gear from a few decades ago. I definitely would restore a nice reel-to-reel tape deck or turntable, or a nice amplifier or something. I might restore a cassette deck, but probably not one from Radio Shack. Then again, now that the Shack is gone, I might restore a "Realistic" brand device just for nostalgia.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Why do people want antique radios?
Next Topic: What does the future hold?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 21:42:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout