Home » xyzzy » Tower » In The Bedroom
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91603 is a reply to message #91600] Sun, 22 March 2020 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on the land line. My main phone is a land line. I rarely answer it though. Long gone are the days when you could expect the call to be important or even reasonable. Now days, most calls are spam. So I let the answering system take the call and act like a call screener.

I used to maintain an analog tip-and-ring land line, shunning newer VoIP product offerings. I preferred to use the old-school network, and did until 2012 when I left Tulsa and moved to Bella Vista. But now even AT&T has largely abandoned analog technologies, preferring instead to put new customers on uVerse, which is a VoIP solution. So sadly, that's what I'm running now.

To digress a moment with a mini-soapbox: The old analog telephone network in the USA was the most robust network on the planet. No matter what kinds of electrical storms raged, no matter what kinds of solar emissions from flares and sunspots, you had voltage across tip and ring and could complete a call. The primary and secondary surge protection on the lines, the use of relatively old switching technologies and the use of batteries as power backups made that network incredibly resilient. In an emergency, you might lose power but you didn't lose your telephone.

Now days, the phone system is completely unreliable. It goes out even when there are no weather conditions or power problems.

We've gone backwards in a big way.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message