Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Oscars and Grammys
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91362 is a reply to message #91361] Mon, 20 January 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, you're right, of course. It happens in every industry, I think. A handful of the industry leaders get together and decide to award themselves. They setup a voting mechanism, but in such a closed system, the votes are always kind of a buddy-system thing.

I used to see this is as kind of sinister or at least deceptive, and sometimes it is. But I've realized that sometimes it is well-intentioned, at least at first. Passionate individuals in an industry may initiate an award for innovation, partly to promote and partly to compete. It is inherently exclusive, but it works very well at first, especially because everyone that's able to participate already is.

After a while, industry newcomers become interested and may actually be even more innovative than the original people and companies in the industry. But the inherent exclusivity of the award mechanism developed when the industry was young prevents the newcomers from getting in. They get miffed, thinking it as a "good old boys club." And it is.

I've seen this in a lot of industries, and well, in pretty much everything. One thing remains constant, and that's change. Favorite technologies come and go. Movie stars and darling musicians come and go. Politicians and sound-bytes come and go. Countries and whole empires come and go.

Wow, that was too contemplative for a Monday. Silly me!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The New Joker Movie
Next Topic: The Rolling Stones: Ole' Ole' Ole'