Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi Towers and thwack
Re: 2 Pi Towers and thwack [message #89493 is a reply to message #89491] Sat, 05 January 2019 11:31 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, that's right. You only have one REL subwoofer. I think we discussed that before. So that makes a flanking sub setup with the REL impossible or at least very compromised.

But as far as using as one of a group of distributed subs, you have thought it through the same way I would. If I were working with a gentle crossover slope, I'd simply crossover lower.

You're analyzing the situation very well - Think of the energy that exists in the stop band, visualizing the response curve. At crossover and through the octave or two above crossover. With a second-order crossover, we are only 12dB down an octave above the crossover frequency. It's 6dB down and quite audible for a half-octave above the "crossover point." So if we have an 80Hz second-order crossover, we still have plenty of output at 120Hz where it's only 6dB down. A 100Hz second-order crossover is pretty loud to around 150Hz. These are good audio range values for a flanking sub.

But for a distant subwoofer, I'd want it to be inaudible by 60Hz to 80Hz. To do that with a second-order slope, I'd choose a crossover between 40Hz and 50Hz.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: More on subs
Next Topic: 2 Pi Magic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 18:27:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio