Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Best Amps for 3Pi
Re: Best Amps for 3Pi [message #89455 is a reply to message #89452] Fri, 28 December 2018 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Just so you know where this is coming from there have been tube amps in my system for years. Push pull el34's, single ended 2a3's and some lesser well known tubes, too.

Wayne won't mention brands but I will. Smile

On the recommendation of one of the Lone Star Audio Fest folks I picked up an Amp Camp Amp kit from diyaudiostore. This is the little class A solid state amp Nelson Pass designed to be put together quickly by those who are new to building electronics. A single amp running in stereo puts out about 8 watts per side.

I've never spent any time with solid state class A amps so this is a new adventure. It's not a tube amp but it's got some 2nd harmonic thing happening that's similar to a tube amp. It nicely textured and a bit laid back sounding - but it's not tubey or sweet sounding the way some tube amps can be. It's an interesting favor of amp.

If you could find somebody in your area and borrow something similar it'd be worth the effort. It may not be "the answer" but class A solid state is a very interesting flavor of amp and it's worth hearing if you aren't interested in tubey but don't want anything that sounds overly solid state.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 7Pi Build 2014
Next Topic: More on subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 21:46:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects