Home » Audio » Source » Stylus Inspection
Re: Stylus Inspection [message #89353 is a reply to message #89352] Thu, 13 December 2018 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I read a lot after visiting with you here the last few days. One of the documents I read was from Shure, who offered a microscope and instructions (attached below) for stylus inspection. Their instruction document shows illustrations of the wear patterns expected on common stylus shapes as well as actual photos of what is seen in the microscope.

I have guarded optimism that I will be able to see well enough to get good results using the 'scope. As you've said, USB microscopes are inexpensive, and I've found solid-state cameras to be pretty good these days. I've worked with remote 'scopes to see things inside automobile engines, and their solid-state cameras create surprisingly good pictures. So I'm somewhat optimistic about the USB microscope photos I'll get.

This is the Shure SEK-2 instruction manual, which describes what to look for as well as giving some examples:

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message