Home » Audio » Speaker » Subwoofer Setup
Re: Subwoofer Setup [message #88389 is a reply to message #88384] Sun, 08 July 2018 11:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's great to hear, Barry. Thanks for the feedback!

As you and I have discussed, I'm a big proponent of multisubs but I consider the flanking sub aspect to be an additional requirement. I think that distributed multisubs by themselves only solve part of the problem. Actually, I don't just think that, I can see it in measurements.

Some would say the upper end of the modal region - the top octave or so - is less problematic than the lower end. Their argument is usually that the modes are becoming closer and closer together, acting more like the reverberent field.

But this transition region is where I would argue is the most troublesome range. It's not just room modes that are a problem in the transition region but also self-interference, which is similar to room modes but not exactly the same. They occur in the lower vocal range, where our ears are becoming more sensitive. And because of that, we can't just put sound sources anywhere like we can with the distributed multisubs. The higher frequency is more localizable and our ears are more sensitive to anomalies in this range. So it's a tough frequency range to address, but one that's very important to do.

That's why I love the flanking sub + distributed multisub configuration. The flanking subs are two of the multisubs, but their more tightly coupled relationship with the mains allows them to mitigate problems above 80Hz as well as to smooth room modes below 80Hz.

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Equalizer and Speakers
Next Topic: Your first set of speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 23:52:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers