Home » Audio » Home Theater » The subwoofer volume and crossover
Re: The subwoofer volume and crossover [message #86497 is a reply to message #86487] Wed, 08 November 2017 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bsolof is currently offline  bsolof
Esquire

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I started doing the sub tricks with old gear lying around the house. First it was two flanking subs (in mono) placed in between the 2 Pi Towers. Then added a small sub near the couch as a distributed sub in spite of the fact it was only running one channel.

The shortcomings of this setup didn't get in the way of it sounding great. Bass was solid, midrange clarity was improved and the texture of things like guitar strings was amazing. Even doing it wrong took the system up a few notches.

From there a big mono sub replaced the small, stereo distributed sub near the couch and it was crossed in the 50's or low 60's. Nice improvement. You can't tell the sub is there but it's adding it's magic.

Finally, I borrowed a Crown amp to put the flanking subs in stereo. It's hard to say if stereo is that much better than the mono but something wasn't quite right. From what you've mentioned it's likely the 24 db/octave slope on the Crown is harder to blend. Shame, the Crown is far more flexible in terms of frequency cutoff and can be set much higher. But that's why I've asked the question - it doesn't seem to be as seamless as the Keiga and I didn't understand why. From what you're saying it isn't the right crossover for this setup.

Shame, it's a one box solution that fits nicely on the equipment rack.

It's been fun to play with the subs. Flanking subs added bass and nuance and adding the distributed sub took the textures up another notch. It's almost spooky. Been rummaging through some recordings that have been hidden away for a while and having a great time listening to all of them again.

Many thanks,
Barry

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How much space?
Next Topic: Placement of the speakers
Goto Forum: