Home » Audio » Source » Will playing the records cause damage?
Re: Will playing the records cause damage? [message #85552 is a reply to message #85550] Thu, 06 July 2017 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Good storage is important, modest humidity and temperatures that are not excessive. LPs standing on their edges in the sleeves. Preferably with good liners. I use ones by MoFi. Putting the jackets in clear covers helps preserve them as well. As for playing...I have several original pressings from the 50s, 60s and 70s that play perfectly. Care and good equipment are really key to this. LPs from later periods are often iffy in quality and were not well made or recorded. New ones from the past few years however are beginning to up the ante and many are quite good. The technology is returning. Funny thing, its demise was premature. Sony has just announced it will start producing LPs again. It stopped in 1989. LP sales now ...if you can believe what is reported account for nearly 20% of purchased durable music media. What it means is CDs are dropping as well as all tape formats. i believe that I read recently that LP sales now were at the highest level in nearly 30 years. Amazing. I won't get sucked into the argument that they are better or worse than digitals, but they are different and being able to hold something in you hand has a certain appeal over something stuck in a PC or player. Do you really own the digits? The LP is yours and a bankrupt digital service (or cloud service) can not take it away. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The Immersive Nature Of It
Next Topic: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 20:43:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio