Home » Audio » Source » Cleaning soap for vinyl
Re: Cleaning soap for vinyl [message #83420 is a reply to message #83391] Mon, 29 August 2016 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It is not quite as simple as you might expect. I suggest that you visit the vinyengine.com site and look in the section about music. Vinyl cleaning is a major topic there (probably a thousand posts). Generally you don't want to use anything that leaves a residue. No water softeners, no fragrances etc. I have used Dawn regular strength unscented dish washing soap. You need to rinse well after it. In an extreme case (insoluble gunk on a few second hand LPs) I used a citrus based cleaner followed by Simple Green (to get the citrus residue off) and then Dawn. Tedious but works.

Now I use a diy ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of 5% of 91% alcohol, 1 ounce of dawn and 1 ounce of dish washer wetting agent. The rest of the solution is distilled water (about 4 quarts). This is followed by a distilled water rinse and vacuum dry. Time consuming but worth it IMO.

A modest cost alternative is the Spin Clean record cleaner. With some solution it runs about $75. It works pretty good. I now use the Spin Clean as my rinse container.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: High definition vinyl
Next Topic: Buying a CD player today
Goto Forum: