Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 PI build (Building a pair of 3 Pi speakers)
Re: 3 PI build [message #79010 is a reply to message #78996] Tue, 21 January 2014 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
Just a few general notes/comments on building speaker boxes.
Safety is important. I use a cartridge respirator when cutting MDF and Birch. Even though I have dust collection there is still enough dust to be very irritating. I also wear ear protection and safety glasses. Having all your equipment in good working order and keeping the work area clean are good practice as well. Try not to rush and quit working when you are tired.
I usually start by making a cut list of all the parts. I then have a look at my tools, making sure what I have what is needed and that the blades and router bits etc. are in good shape and clean. This helps avoid problems as you work through the project. .
After establishing the size of all the parts, I determine how they will be cut. Set the saw once and cut all the parts that size, then move on. For instance, in these boxes the tops, bottoms, inner baffle, back panel and braces are all the same width. Having them identical in size is very important. Doing one set up and cutting them all minimizes any differences. Precision is more important than accuracy in this case. If the width is off by a small amount it's not a problem as long as all the pieces are the same width.
Another issue can be the thickness of the MDF or Birch. I knew the BB was 18mm not 3/4" but did not realize that the 2 different lots of MDF I used were not the same thickness. I didn't check this and have some minor issues to deal with because of it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message