Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi How good are they actually? (Mid or high end loudspeakers)
Re: 4Pi How good are they actually? [message #76890 is a reply to message #74719] Thu, 30 May 2013 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Nelson Bass
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I've built the flanking subs of your design (3pi subs) but yet have to take them into service. I'm building the 4pi as well and bought your waveguides but haven't bought the drivers yet. Consider the crossovers assembled. Smile

I've been following the 'beyond the ariel' thread over at diyaudio by Lynn Olson and lately read this:

"Tonality and resolution at low levels was one of the big differences between the JBL 2226 and the GPA 416-Alnico. The JBL sounded flat and dull, while the 416-Alnico had the trademark Alnico sparkle to the sound, and most noticeably at low levels. If you want to hear the difference between magnet materials, and overhung vs underhung voice coils, low-level listening is where it is most apparent."

I'm a little worried about the JBL2226 after reading this. What I really liked about the Avantgarde horn systems was its ability to sound natural and effortless no matter what the sound level was set at.

So how bad is the claim stated by Lynn?

I really don't want to listen at 95dB or more to enjoy my music...

Can I substitute with the 2226H with GPA416-16 Ohm? I of course have to make changes in the filter.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message